Thursday, December 30, 2004

Trials and Travails

Well, Nathan has come down with the bug that Bob and Melinda had. He was up vomiting a couple of times last night, and was sick this morning as well. He seems better now, and he's eaten a banana and had some tea. I was hopin gthat no one else would get sick, but if anyone had to be, I'm glad it was Nathan. He's definitely the most "stoic" of the boys, as far as being sick goes. He cries while throwing up, but when he's done, he is quite calm, and he says things like, "I'm glad I made it to the trash can", and "hopefully I won't make anyone else sick", and stuff like that. Since he's not dramatically convinced he's the sickest person in the world, I am automatically more sympathetic. For some reason, I have a hard time being very sympathetic with people who don't even try to deal well with pain or discomfort. I think it's a good thing I'm not a nurse! Anyways, Nathan is coping well and recovering quickly, it appears.

Last night we also discovered that one of our heating elements on our stove is not working. I was trying to boil water for some more noodles, and it simply would never come to a real roiling boil. After about 30 minutes, there were only the same tiny little bubbles that had been there for awhile. While I was of course sad that it wasn't working, it at least did explain some things. Things had been taking longer and longer to boil, but I thought that maybe I was just imagining things. I had made fudge last Thursday, and for some reason it never really set up right. I was surprised because it is truly a fail-proof recipe, one that I have made zillions of times before, including just the previous week, with no problems. I think it never got quite hot enough. Fortunately the other side still works, so I do have burners, but I guess now we'll have to figure out how to replace them.

1 comment:

Pilot Mom said...

I hope Nathan is feeling 100% before too long! Sounds like the B-ball is a pretty fun deal. Maybe James will have to pop up there and give the boys a game! :) We are praying that no one else comes down with the bug. Love, AC