Friday, January 14, 2005

Clarification

When rereading my last post, I realized I had made it sound like working with people who are not Christians put me outside of my comfort zone. This actually wasn't what I meant. What makes me uncomfortable is the thought of me being on a "head" committee and being in charge of something that has to be started from scratch! I am much more comfortable just following orders, rather than taking the initiative on things. In fact, all last night (we had a terrible storm so I woke up often) I thought, "I don't really want to do this! It's too much!" But I feel like the Lord does want me to be involved, and it is in my area of knowledge and experience, so here we go.

As far as the other ladies go, Priscilla, the Muslim, has 4 children the exact same ages as mine! Her oldest is a girl though. And Ester, the Israeli, brought up an interesting point--Jews can't participate in a Saturday science fair. So now we are a little stymied at to what to do for the date and how that will all work out. Our next meeting is in March, after the local public school science fairs. This is to give everyone else a chance to actually go to some of the science fairs and see what they are like, since no one else has ever participated in one!

4 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

You know, when I read your blog, that thought never entered my mind (about Christians vs. non-Christians). I think you should go for it! Naturally I understand EXACTLY where you are coming from in regards to 'heading up' and 'following.' Do you find it interesting that the Lord saw fit to 'wire' both Claires that way? Hmmm.... :) Still, what a wonderful opportunity for you to work along side these women. I have no doubt that as God places you there you will have 'eternal opportunities.' That is just the way He works. And, if nothing else, your behavior and attitude etc will speak volumes for Christians because maybe they haven't been involved with believers before (maybe they have been involved with 'Christians', if you know what I mean). Anyway, I will be praying for you as you 'step up to the plate.' I'm excited to follow this!

Kim said...

Hi Claire!

Thanks for leaving your blog address at my blog!

I notice from reading further down that you're reading The Dog Who Wouldn't Be. I absolutely love, love, love that book. Have you read Mowat's Owls In The Family? It's awesome!

Blessings.

Bob and Claire said...

Hi Kim! Yes, we read Owls in the Family last year--that is a funny book, and the boys enjoyed it immensely. Mowat is one of my favorite authors! Thanks for stopping by. I've enjoyed reading your blog and check it fairly often! : )

witw said...

Here's my 2 cents on choosing a day:
1) It doesn't have to be on a weekend - our local school one was always a school night.
2) Isn't one of the advantages of homeschooling flexibility? Could you just do a Tuesday morning or something? If people want this, they will make it a priority, it seems to me.
3) Whatever date you choose won't work for everyone, but it should work for as many as possible and definitely for all of you that are planning it. If people are expected to invest the time planning, they should reap the rewards.
4) NOBODY had a science fair in past years, so whatever you do will be an improvement, even if a couple of people can't make it. You can build from there.