Sunday, April 24, 2005

Bookcases, Bookcases, and More Bookcases!

We are a family who loves books, and since we also homeschool, we have a ton of them. When we moved here, we were right at capacity, as far as bookshelves go, but as often happens, I needed more for homeschooling, and then my parents started downsizing. I took home a bunch of books after our visits in Otober and November! So it became obvious to me that we needed new some new bookcases, since all we had were one from my Nana and Papa, an old one from KMart that Bob brought into the marriage, and 2 little ones that Amy and I used as hutches on the back of our desks at college. I found a really nice one at Sams for $158.64--a double bookcase in a Mission style, with a nice stain, one actually that matched perfectly my Nana's bookcase. We talked about for a few weeks, and I started mentally rearranging the books. Last Tuesday when i went to Sams, the model was there, but no boxes underneath! I couldn't find any one to help, so later that evening, we all went back, and I went to the service desk and tried to explain the situation ("I only have the model number for the oak bookcase next to the one I want--there is a model of this mission style one, but no boxes. Can you search and tell me if you have any more?"). Un fortunately, at our Sams, there are some employees who don't speak very good English, so no one ever really understood what we were asking ("If there are no more here, can you at least give us a model number or check at other Sams?"). Nothing happened, and I was so disappointed! The boys and I even went to another furniture store to look at bookcases. That's when I realized what a great deal the Sams' one was! For one the same size, they wanted $419!! I went home determined to track down any of these if they existed anywhere within 50 miles of us! I spent a frustrating afternoon on hold with several different Sams in the VA/MD area, but finally I was rewarded--one in Gaithersburg had 7, and one in Woodbridge had 8! I was so excited!!! Saturday morning, Bob and our friend Ed left early to get to Gaithersburg (about 45 min. away) when the store opened. They piled 6 of the bookcase boxes on their cart (5 for us, 1 for Ed), leaving one. A guy was watching them, and as soon as they walked away, he ran up to examine what this incredible thing was! We laughed when we imagined him talking to his wife--"It must be a great deal! They were flying off the shelves! There's only one left!" So now Bob is busy assembling these, and they really are beautiful. I'd post a link, but Sams.com doesn't have them either. Our plan is to line 3 of them up along the back wall of our study. There will only be about 3 inches on either side of them then, so it will look kind of like built-in bookcases. Then we'll put another one in our family room, and move Nana and Papa's into our living room, where we'll probably put the last new one. I think we should easily have enough bookshelf capacity to get us through the next several years! : )

1 comment:

Pilot Mom said...

I don't know, Claire. That's what I thought when we bought our four new ones and now they are loaded to the gills! I laughed when I read about the man...such a visual I got in my head! LOL!