Monday, April 25, 2005

Occupation Game

My Aunt Claire tagged me to play a game. Here's the scoop on how to play: I have to pick 5 occupations out of the list below and post my answers here. I'm supposed to then tag someone else, but you all know me--I never pass things on. I'm too embarrassed that I would be rejected! : ) I never even forward emails! Okay, here we go...The "questions": If I could be a scientist...If I could be a farmer...If I could be a musician...If I could be a doctor...If I could be a painter...If I could be a gardener...If I could be a missionary...If I could be a chef...If I could be an architect...If I could be a linguist...If I could be a psychologist...If I could be a librarian...If I could be an athlete...If I could be a lawyer...If I could be an inn-keeper...If I could be a professor...If I could be a writer...If I could be a llama-rider...If I could be a bonnie pirate...If I could be an astronaut...If I could be a world famous blogger...If I could be a justice on any one court in the world...If I could be married to any current famous political figure...

1. If I could be a musician . . . I would be really thrilled. I would love to be able to just sing out a song exactly as I can hear it in my head, so when people say, "Does anyone know that song . . .?" I could confidently answer, "Yes, it goes like this . . . tra la la blah blah" and it would sound just like it! Also, I wish I could sing harmony (my voice is low) just by ear, instead of having to see the notes in a hymnal to know what sound should go there (again, not that what I would sing would curently sound like what should go there to harmonize!). I miss using hymnals to sing with, but our last 2 churches haven't used them.

2. If I could be a scientist . . . well, I am. Or was. In a previous life or something. I mean, I have a degree in biology and in math. But I have only worked as a scientist the summer between my junior and senior years of college, when I won a fellowship from the American Heart Association to work in a lab in Ohio doing research on these minor cholesterol components. It was fascinating, and I really enjoyed it. I love research, doing procedures the same way all the time, all the orderliness and routine. So different from my life now. Sometimes I daydream about working in a lab, discovering some tiny piece of a very complex puzzle. Practically, however, I know if I ever needed to go back to work I'd probably have to go back to school to get a degree in something practical--probably accounting.

3. If I could be a gardener . . . I wish I could be one! My Grandpa was a wonderful one, so I know the genes must be there somewhere! And Amy knows so much about flowers--I wish I had that too. Somehow, though, I just can't end up caring enough to do anything about it, so I let Bob do whatever gardening that gets done (he and the boys planted some tomatoes, beans, etc. in planter boxes on the deck this year), and the boys and I plant bulbs. That's about it. I like to admire other's time and handiwork, I guess. Sometimes I think, when I retire and don't have little pumpkins underfoot all day long . . . I think there's a limit to how many living things I can care for at once, and plants just don't cut it right now. Even houseplants. I'm so pathetic! : )

4. If I could be an inn-keeper . . . I would be a bundle of stress. I could never deal with strangers every day and remain sane. I simply couldn't. I am too introverted, and I need lots of down-time, away from crowds, strangers, even the boys. Sometimes Bob talks about retiring to White Sulphur Springs, the beautiful Officers' Christian Fellowship retreat center in the Allegheny Mountains in PA and working on staff there. I have the same kind of reaction. It's one of my favorite places to visit, but I'd never want to be in charge of all those people, forced to make small talk with them all the time!

5. If I could be a doctor . . . I'd work on discovering a cure for cankersores. That may seem minor to you, but for some reason, they are my particular cross to bear. I've dealt with them ever since I was little, and my dad gets them too, so I guess they are hereditary. For sure they are worse if I am under stress or stay up too late too many nights in a row, but over the last few years they have really gotten bad. They are no longer just on the soft parts of my mouth. I also get them on my actual gums, and the last week or so I've had 3 under my tongue. They become these huge, raging sores, and sometimes 2 will join together to make one "supersore". I have not been able to figure out anything that really helps them or makes them go away quicker. Changing my diet hasn't made a difference either. But I'm sure if I was a doctor, I could do some high-powered research and solve it up!

1 comment:

Pilot Mom said...

Claire, I'm so glad you played! We are so much alike (except you are really great in math...where DID that come from?).

I, too, miss using hymnals...I'm so afraid they are a thing of the past. :(

As for the cankorsores, are they the same as Nana's cold sores she gets in her mouth? If so, she has a Rx that the dentist gave her and at the first 'feeling' of one she takes that pill and then it never really takes. She has been so much better since she does that. Whenever she gets down in numbers, she calls the dentist and gets a new Rx. I'll find out what it is for you. And then you can check it out and see if it will work for you.