Monday, August 29, 2005

Back to School (again)

Today we started back to school after taking the month of August off. I am happy to report that I did NOT fall asleep on the couch until after we were completely done with the day's teaching. Math facts and Latin were again a little rusty, but that will come back in a few days. We even had a little interruption of our morning when Nathan happened to glance out of our study window and exclaim, "Hey, there's a turtle in our yard!" He was exactly right, so we all trooped out to study the speciman, who was not all that pleased to see us approach. But he was a good sport, even sticking his head out again and walking more for us. I actually picked him up and moved him when he started to walk too far into the trees--oooh, a brave moment for Mom! We took a picture on the camera and Luke also drew one, so we will be well-armed when we go to the library next and hunt for books on turtle identification. I know it's one of the common ones that we have seen in lakes, but I can't remember the name, and anyhow, it's always great to have another reason to go to the library! Our yard simply isn't a hotspot for turtle life, so I have no idea how this guy ended up here. He disappeared into our tiny stand of trees, but I am assuming he will eventually try to make it down to the creek at the end of our cul-de-sac. And here I was just lamenting our sad lack of science! : )

We have had quite a summer. I sat down with the calender last night and figured out that, if you count next weekend when we will be at White Sulphur Springs for the OCF retreat, we have either been gone or had company at our house for 45 days this summer (starting June 3). I think that's pretty impressive! And I hope to never break that record again, since this summer about killed me. Also, while we were home, we planned and executed a medival feast and, umm, got pregnant. Well! We certainly were busy, weren't we? LOL! I'm looking forward to Fall . . .

1 comment:

Pilot Mom said...

Oh, yes, you have certainly been busy! LOL! But, it has been a "good" busy!

I remember when James found a turtle in the yard at Grandpa DeVore's (in VA). Regular turtle kind...I, too, cannot remember the kind, but I'm sure James does.