Thursday, August 18, 2005

Not Much Getting Done Around Here . . .

We've sort of unofficially called a break from school until after we get back from VA Beach and Richmond next week. We've TRIED to do school lately--it just hasn't worked out. We started doing school when we got back from Rose's house. Everything went fine at first--we read our Bible story, prayed for the country from Operation World, and started reviewing Latin. Then I realized I would be ever so much more comfortable lying on my side on the couch. Then I propped my head up on a pillow. Finally I had to tell everyone to go read books, and I promptly fell sound asleep. Yesterday I had the best of intentions, but after I cleared breakfast away and checked email, I discovered everyone quietly absorbed in books, even Jonathan. So I lay down on the couch and took a nap. Is there a pattern here? LOL! Today I didn't even try! Nathan and Luke start Upward soccer tonight, so Nathan wanted to do some jogging and exercising this morning. All the boys ran around the cul-de-sac a bunch of times and did their sit-ups, push-ups, and stretches, then we all came inside and did leg-lifts straight from the Buff Moms-To-Be book that I got out of library. (Disclaimer about the book: it is filled with pictures of extremely pregnant models doing the exercises wearing regular exercise clothes. By that I mean, just jog bra-type tops. The bellies are quite a shock! I don't even like seeing my OWN very pregnant belly in the mirror, much less someone else's, complete with linea nigra down the front!!!! ACK!) Then I rode the exercise bike for 20 minutes. It seems that the only way I can stay awake in the morning is if I am doing some kind of exercising! Meanwhile the boys have been doing other things, like making stuff with clay, painting, doing puzzles, and playing games. Nathan even wrote a letter yesterday, of his own free will and idea! And they're reading a lot. Nathan is into these "Trailblazer" books that I found at the Ashburn library when I was there Monday night for a science fair meeting. They are Christian books, historical fiction, built around the lives of famous Christians. So right now Nathan is reading Traitor in the Tower , which is about a boy who meets John Bunyan. They seem pretty exciting, and I have seen others recommend them on the WTM Board, but I have never seen them before. Luke just finished reading the second book in the My Father's Dragon series. It's called Elmer and the Dragon. This is the first series of books that he has really gotten into. They're older books, but amazingly I never read them when I was little! Well, off to fight the daily battle of "what do we have for lunch". Sandwiches are really not cutting it right now for me, so every lunch is a big struggle. Sigh.

2 comments:

Bob and Claire said...

Hi Detra! I'm "AFwife Claire" on the WTM boards, but I don't post all that often! I'm due the end of March, so I'm about 81/2 weeks along now. Thanks for the encouraging words! : )

Dy said...

Oh, Claire! Thank you for your sweet note about our Forever Home. We did find everything a relocating family could wish for in our Amazing Realtor and Nice Mortgage Man. Plus great markets, a strong hs'g community and a wonderful church. If there is anything you need, or if y'all are ever down our way, please do not hesitate to give me a ring. The door is always open and I've got RRL tea for my preggo visitors. :-)

BTW, the boys were quite excited when we told them about this baby b/c then they didn't have to worry about why Mommy kept falling asleep on the clean clothes piles every. single. day. That second wind is just as refreshing this time around as it was with the first baby!
Dy