Sunday, August 28, 2005

A book review

Last night I read a very interesting book called Giving Birth: A Journey into the World of Mothers and Midwives by Catherine Taylor. It was so interesting that I read it all in one sitting, like a novel. The author started researching exactly what contemporary midwives are in America, how thir work settings influence their practice of midwifery, and why America rated pretty low for maternal and infant mortality rates among industrialized nations, even though we spend more per capita on birthing women than any other country. While writing the book, she became pregnant with her second child, so it was also a search for this "perfect' birth experience that she felt she had missed during her first labor (which was with a certified nurse-midwife in a hospital). She shadows several midwives in a hospital setting (in the southwest US), writing about many births, which I always find fascinating. She was surprised to find that although the midwifes seemed to be in charge, in many cases doctors were actually making decisions that the CNMs had to implement. Also, almost all women at this hospital gave birth sitting in a bed with feet out to the side, in stirrups, although they were encouraged to labor in different positions. And most midwifes were not really around much for the labors--just for the actual pushing and delivery. Catherine also visited a birthing center in Taos, NM where she observed more births and found a philosophy a little more to her liking, as far as the midwives really supporting the women and being there, and there being a lot of options for laboring comfort as well as delivery. This center had very low c-section and epidural rates, which the hospital midwives did not. Then she went to some home births, which she decided were the best of all worlds, and she gives a lot of statistics to bolster her case, such as how healthy the babies are, how less-stressed the moms are, etc. Catherine eventually decides this is the way for her, and she has a home birth for her second child. While she is following all these different midwives around, she becomes a doula so she can better assist women at birth, and also actually experience more births. Although the book tries to be pretty even-handed, she is clearly not a big fan of drugs or epidurals. None of the midwives, however, make a big deal of this--they all were very supportive of whatever choices the client made, and like I said, the hospital midwives ended up with a lot of epidurals. She muses about the causes of this--that American women simply are not used to any sort of pain, and will not tolerate it at all, even knowing it has an ending point. Also, that nurses and OBs would rather have thier patients have one so that they don't need to be so involved in the care. Interesting thoughts, but I would love for my sister-in-law to read the book and tell me what she thinks, since she actually IS a labor and delivery nurse! The author never interviewed or shadowed any nurses or OBs, so she was basically just making judgement calls.

Several of the author's points I think depended a lot on personality too. One reason she was dissatisfied with her first birth was that she felt like her midwife wasn't around for it, and she didn't have all the support she needed. I personally have never liked having too many people around me while in labor, so this absolutely was never an issue for me. I like the peace and quiet, and I just read and listen to music. I think it would drive me crazy to have someone hovering around me, offering me "sniffs of peppermint oil" or other things like that to distract me from my contractions! But I can understand that not everyone is as self-focused as I am during labor, and maybe they do need more of that. Also, she really hated it that she didn't have the midwife she saw for her prenatal care deliver her. Well, I have had 4 children now, and I never been delivered by anyone I met before they were peering at me from between my legs! I guess I never expected it or thought it very important who actually caught the baby (good thing, huh!), so I wasn't disappointed. Also, I rarely see the same person for appointments, so it's kind of hard to form any attachments, LOL! Catherine was also bugged when the hospital midwives would take the baby after just 5 minutes on the mother's chest to bath it and clean it up. Well, I don't really like goopy babies, so that was never a problem for me either. Let me deliver the placenta, then bring me back a nice, clean weighed baby! As far as home births go, I would NEVER want to do this--I would never want to deal with all the blood and gunk and dirty laundry! BLEH! Also, the author takes a hilarious set of birthing classes where everyone belly-dances around, then the instructor acts out the story of "the goddess Innanna descending in to the underworld, the tomb and womb of the earth, where she plants seeds of life by giving up her own". LOL! This intructor also makes everyone practice making loud pushing noises by pretending they are mama gorillas. I don't think so! They also have to draw a "landscape of their labor", which is supposed to be a metaphor. Catherine draws a river with rapids that flows through a narrow opening to a wide calm lake. Nice idea, but how exactly does that help? I've made it through 4 completely all-natural labors, and I didn't need any of that weird stuff to help me!

For my first 2 deliveries, in Colorado, I was delivered by certified nurse midwives that I am sure were very similar to the ones she shadowed in the book, although they would not have had all the stresses of dealing with HMOs and the whole managed care system. I was thrilled to not have episiotomies, to not have drugs pushed on me, and to be able to stay in the same room for labor and delivery! It also helped that I stayed home as long as possible before going in. One thing that always bothers me about my births is having to keep the contraction/heart rate monitor on at all times, even though they always said in classes that you could be free to move around. Again, going in late helps with this--you don't feel much like moving anywhere when you are already at least 6 cm dilated! It does make it harder to move into comfortable positions for transition, however, if every time you move, the alarm goes off because the monitor no longer can pick up anything. Grr. Also, I have become trapped in the "only push in a semi-sitting position" way of thinking. When I was in labor with Jonathan, I was laying on my left side when I felt a tremendous urge to push. I told everyone then scrambled to get sitting up while they took off the end of the bed in between contractions! As soon as I sat up, I never had such strong pushing urges again. He was a big baby (9 lb. 6 oz), and it was harder to get him under my pelvis. I think if I had stayed laying down (would they have even let me? No midwives at the big W-P teaching hospital!), I would have pushed in half the time (which was still only about 20 minutes, but that's a lot for #4!).

Well, this was a long review, but it was such an interesting book for anyone who is or ever has given birth, or who just wants to get some perspective on it. I didn't agree with all her conclusions, but the stories were great, and the book made me think. My conclusion was that everyone has such vastly different expectations for birth and ways for coping with pain and childbirth. I'm glad there is no one method forced on women like it used to be, and I am glad that more and more hospitals are becoming less and less invasive and forceful about managing labor, as if it were a disease to cure or something. Thanks for reading this far!!

8 comments:

Dy said...

Oh, this is a big one for me. :-)

Before I'd read the whole entry, I got to this part: "although the midwifes seemed to be in charge, in many cases doctors were actually making decisions that the CNMs had to implement" and said to Zorak, "I don't know why the author was surprised - CNM's are ultimately accountable to the protocols of the doctor, not to the mother and child. Duh. That's why we'll never use a CNM."

I know many women would not consider a homebirth, but the phrases, "having to keep...the monitor on", and "would they let me" really give me the heebie-jeebies. If, for some unholy reason, we were forced by State Mandate to birth in a hospital, the stack of AMA forms we'd sign pre-emptively would deforest a large portion of Oregon. It's not up to them whether I wear that thing, lay on my side, or walk around with peppermint sticks stuffed up each nostril. It's my birth. My baby. My body. My family. They're just background noise at that point.

We had James in a hospital, and looking back at the way it was managed - the fact that it was managed - brings tears to my eyes. The two homebirths we've had since (and the one coming in January) have been great. I love the waterbirth aspect b/c they come up so clean and pink! LOL ;-)

I don't know that I'd enjoy this particular book, as it sounds a bit new-agey for my personal taste. (I have to stifle a chuckle when a doula friend of mine fills me in on her "nutrition" classes at her new age school. It's not what works for us, but I know it brings her a great deal of positives and good things. So I can support her dance and rite of fertility.) But Zorak and I just eat green chile burritos and hang out in the pool. That's our kind of labor. :-)

Thanks for the book review - and sorry for writing a novella of my own. I get carried away by birth stories. :-)
Dy

Bob and Claire said...

I had forgotten that you had home births! So, how much does it end up costing? Was there a huge mess to clean up? Do you use a baby pool? Do you just throw it away when you're done, LOL?! I still think I would have a hard time with the mess. My best friend uses a really nice birthing center (with her midwife, but no doctors) where she labored in a big tub and could have delivered there if she wanted to. That always seemed like the best option to me, but unfortunately there's not anything like that around here, and certainly not anything the Air Force would pay for. Right now we are stuggling with what we are even going to do for prenatal care with this baby--the military won't approve us being seen off-base because we are not 40 miles away from their hospital--only 33, like that makes a huge difference when dealing with the beltway and I-95! Frustrating.

The book really wasn't that new-age-y as a whole, although she ended up thinking that kind of birth was more ideal. I told my brother that she wanted a "spiritual" birth, because she understood how miraculous the process is, but when you don't really know the Creator of Life, then you just search everywhere to fill that void.

Thanks for your comments! I obviously love discussing things like this too! LOL!

Dy said...

LOL! The mess is nothing, or at least I never saw any of it. The pool handles a lot of that. When it's all said and done, you take a nice, warm shower, put on your favorite fluffy robe and curl up in bed with a hot cup of tea and the baby while your honey snaps pictures and the midwives make more tea, do load after load of laundry, make placenta prints, take bets on the baby's weight, snap pictures of all of you together, put up the wash, and dote on you hand and foot. They will answer your gazillion and three questions, remind you to TAKE IT EASY, get witnesses to confirm that you've been told to TAKE IT EASY *grin*, and bring you snacks. It's like a really nice Bed & Breakfast, but no room service charges. :-) Zorak drains the pool, and we don't throw it out - he just hangs it inside out and bleaches it after it's drained.

I think the norm is about $3K for everything from first prenatal visit to eight weeks post-partum. That also included the Vit K, eye ointment, heel prick tests - everything. Our last mw was still working on her first 100 births unassisted, and we got a screaming deal, financially. Well, in all aspects, b/c she was truly amazing, skilled, intuitive and she worked well with our philosophies. We love the laymidwives, and the midwifery model of care. It's such a huge difference from the medical model of care, and really works well for us.

I don't envy you having to navigate the military medical system while pg. It can be frustrating enough when you aren't filled with water and hormones. {{hugs}} Are you going to push for off-base approval, or just brave the beltway? I'll be praying that you find just the right care provider, wherever you end up going.

Dy

Dy said...

OK, I had to come add this - Zorak, who probably gets the brunt of the clean-up duty (definitely more than I, lounging on the bed in a state of endorphin bliss, anyway) just said, "It's definitely less mess than fixing a Thanksgiving dinner." So. That says a lot. LOL.
Dy

witw said...

Being a labor nurse, I have to ensure safe care to all patients. I agree that the fetal monitoring is a huge hassle for the patient and for the nurse who has to keep an eye on the strip for the entire labor process. The reason for monitoring is to ensure the well-being of the infant - how well oxygenated the infant is, etc. As a compassionate nurse, I want the best outcome for our patients. I will follow the patient's wish as long it does not jeopardize the mother or the baby.
Having a home birth can put you and your baby in a compromising situation. You can have all the tests, and ultrasounds, and still there could be a chance of something going wrong. What if your baby comes out blue, limp, decrease tone and a heartrate of 50, or even better, thick pea soup like meconium is present. Mom is hemorrhaging and the bleeding will not stop. She needs to go to the operating room stat. OOPS! That is going to take 20 minutes to get to a hospital. Even though the hospital is near by, still that is time wasted, whereas if you were in a hospital you have decreased your time to travel. If home birth is the way you would like to deliver, that is your choice, but please be smart and look at the what-ifs and how the midwife handles these situations. It could be a matter of life or death.
-Mel

Bob and Claire said...

Hey Mel! I'm glad you responded because you have a different perspective on the whole birth process given all your experience. That's why I would love for you to read tohe book to get your thoughts! I definitley appreciate the safety aspects of hospital births, especially with our experience with Luke. He aspirated meconium during delivery and had to spend a few extra days in the hospital, which was scary. I was glad to be there to get him the help he needed! The thing I don't like about hospitals is that it seems like they often have processes in place that in turn add to more and more interventions that become needed. For example, a mom lays on the bed during labor and doesn't move around, so contractions are really uncomfortable, so she gets an epidural. Then her labor slows, so drs administer pitocin, maybe break her water, putting her on the clock. Maybe then she doens't push well, so they end up doing episiotomies and using forcepts or vacuum more readily. The suthor gave pretty convincing statistics to indicate that situations like that occur pretty frequently in hospital settings, driving up costs and possibilites for complications. I know women who delivered at Wright-Pat (big military teaching hospital) who felt like doctors there kind of thought like, "we can do it (intervene however), so we should", instead of approaching birth like a natural process that most likely will go fine on it's own, since women have been doing it for thousands of years. I would rather have more say int things and as little intervention as possible. But that is not a reflection on you or on any of the other nurses or techs I have had! I know with your compassionate spirit you must be a wonderful nurse, and I would love to deliver with you there! I've always been blessed to have very kind and supportive nurses who I have felt listened to my wants and accomodated them, so I'm sure tht's why I feel like I've had 4 very positive birth experiences, even in the military hospitals. It will be interesting to see what things you choose whenever you have your first baby! : )

witw said...

If God provides a child for us, my delivery plans would be to stay home as long as you can. Mel

Pilot Mom said...

Mel, I'm chipping in my two cents worth to let you know that I've already been praying that the Lord will bless you with a baby....when the time is right! :)