Tuesday, August 16, 2005

We're in the system

Well, I finally made it into the clinic to take the "official" pregnancy test, and it was indeed positive. If the military deems me pregnant, then you know it must be so! Today we ran all our errands, since Nathan was feeling better. First we went down to the clinic to pick up Caleb's prescription refills and take said pregnancy test. That actually turned out to be a bigger hassle than I thought it would be. Here, you can't just walk into the lab and give a specimen--you have to be referred by a doctor! How ridiculous, since they don't have any OB services here, and it's not like that would count for your first appointment. So they told me to go to the nurses station. We all trooped over there, and she made me a "walk-in" appointment for noon, and told me to check in at the front desk, then come back to the nurses' station. After doing that, I finally was given a cup. We all went over to the lab bathroom, and there I tried to figure out how to give a specimen with all the boys there. I finally just turned them all around facing the wall and told them to give me some privacy! Nothing like peeing into a cup in front of an audience! So then we went back to the nurses' station, where the lady told me to eat lunch, then come back in for my results. I really didn't feel like doing that, so we just went back over to the lab to see when the results would be back. Hey, they were already back! So we went back to the nurses' station, since the lab can't give out results. Of course not! After finding out (surprise!) that it was positive, the lady asked me what I wanted to do about my care, now that I was "in the system". They could refer me to Bethesda (which is closest, at about 45 minutes away with no traffic), or they could send me down to Ft. Belvoir, which is really far, but that is the place you must go through if you want to try to get approval to be seen at an off-base, civilian facility. So we went with option B, and now Bob has to try to get the powers-that-be to release me. Hopefully they will be merciful and not make someone pregnant with her 5th child go 45 minutes away for all her appointments! Not to mention the risk of delivering on the Beltway. After all that was taken care of, we had to wait again so they could give me my prenatal vitamins. Then we went to Wendy's for lunch, then off to Ft. Myer to get gas (only $2.41 there!) and go to the commissary. We left the house at 11:00, and we finally returned at 4:15. Whew. The boys were a huge help unloading, and now we are going out to Lone Star Steakhouse for dinner. We have heard rumors that kids eat free on Tuesday nights, and we have a coupon for Bob and me. Then I am sure I will collapse in bed.

No comments: