Wednesday, October 05, 2005

In Honor of Shakespeare

Today we read about William Shakespeare in Story of the World. With that in mind, I'm going to share with you something we all thought was really funny that I read on The Well-Trained Mind board. It helped the boys see how Shakespeare wrote by having something familiar to them written in his style.

The following is from the Washington Post Style Invitational contest that asked readers to submit "instructions" for something (anything) but written in the style of a famous person. The winning entry was:

The Hokey Pokey (as written by W. Shakespeare)

O proud left foot, that ventures quick within
Then soon upon a backward journey lithe.
Anon, once more the gesture, then begin:
Command sinistral pedestal to writhe.
Commence thou then the fervid Hokey-Poke,
A mad gyration, hips in wanton swirl.
To spin! A wilde release from Heaven's yoke.
Blessed dervish! Surely canst go, girl.
The Hoke, the Poke--banish now thy doubt
Verily, I say, 'tis what it's all about.

2 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

I certainly can see why this won! :0 Too funny!

Beverly said...

Tee hee! This English major was ROtFL! I LOVE this!

BTW, thanks for your comments on my blog! You are the only person that knows about the blog so far! I need to send out a family update and let people know it's here. I guess I'm such a perfectionist that I really want to get pictures and more posts and everything, but then that might scare everyone away anyway and they would never come back because they don't have time to read all of Beverly's Blathering!

But enough about me...I too enjoy reading your blog and will look forward to keeping in touch with you on a more personal level...it makes me wish we had had more time to get together, because we certainly share the same sense of humor and very similar outlook on life, home schooling, etc.! I look forward to learning from you as we begin...

My, my, this comment is getting out of control...somebody please shut me up!