Friday, October 21, 2005

New Stage

As I am packing for this trip to Ohio (which, by the way, Bob is going to get to go on--he's just taking leave for it), I have realized that we are in a new stage right now, one we haven't been in for many years. I don't need a diaper bag. Yes, that's right! Jonathan is still technically in diapers, but he doesn't go much while we're out, and even more rarely would he go poop. And I always have diapers in the car, so I am prepared for emergencies. Neither Jonathan nor Caleb are wearing bibs anymore. That was sort of a surprise, but Jonathan is a much neater eater (hey, what a rhyme!) than Caleb, so I let him stop wearing them about the same time Caleb stopped! With the new baby being due the end of March, we're going to have a gap of 2 years, almost 10 months, and that is the longest between any of our kids. I am getting a little used to the comforts of not having babies! I can still say that I have had no breaks in changing diapers though--I've been at that for over 8 years and counting, always having at least one in diapers. Once I was sitting by a new mom in some casual setting, and I changed someone (Caleb? Jonathan? Can't remember) on my lap really quickly. She was amazed, but I told her it was all experience. Who knew I would ever be such a pro at diapers?! Certainly not me. Anyhow, when we went to WalMart yesterday, I bought a new purse. It's big enough that I can fit the little travel diaper wipes box in it, as well as Caleb's Epipen and other little things that I used to carry in the diaper bag. I found that the only time I was really missing the diaper bag was after going out to eat, when someone was really sticky or something, and I just needed a wipe. So now that problem is solved, and I will not even be bringing our diaper bag to Ohio! I figure the diaper bag deserves a little break between now and March--it has earned a reward for faithful service rendered!

1 comment:

Dy said...

*smile* That's a nice phase, isn't it?

You know, I ditched the diaper bag in favor of a great backpack (one I hoarked from Zorak while he was in college, after convincing him he needed a "new one", *grin*). And when I hit a point where I could use a purse instead, I found I really MISSED my backpack. It's just so handy for carrying books (I keep two or three for each of us on hand when we go out), knitting (the project that refuses to end - I think it breeds in the dark in there), water (b/c we aren't camels and there are a LOT of us! lol)... Zorak asked me if I wanted to get a new purse and I laughed and said, "No, but it might be time for a new backpack." And I have a feeling I may never stop carrying wipes around with me. WHAT did we do before parenthood?? (Well, other than that we didn't get nearly so messy during the normal course of a day...)

Anyhow, I'm rambling. Have a WONDERFUL trip!!! (Are you going to blog on the road??)

Dy