Monday, January 07, 2008

Checking in briefly . . .

We went to Bob's parents' for the weekend, getting back late last night. It was a good visit, as visits out there go. To be completely honest, you can't make up stories like we can tell. It's always interesting.

The trip was much more pleasant this time. We went up for the whole weekend, which we haven't done for a long time. The first night we stayed at our usual Comfort Inn (where Bob was the "guest of the day" and received not only a free bottle of water and package of peanut butter crackers, but also a bear with a t-shirt saying "Someone in New Stanton loves you"). This was fun, as we had time to go swimming Saturday morning, and the night was not as disruptive as it usually is, with all 8 of us in one (big) room.

Saturday night, however, we stayed with friends. Yes, some friends of ours from here in VA, the ones who first told us about our wonderful church, got out of the Air Force and moved to PA, only 30 minutes away from Bob's parents. Wow, talk about your worlds colliding! They live in a beautiful almost new house with lots of space and bathrooms. Their basement is finished, walk-out, and has lots of toys for the kids to play with. It was so, so nice to stay there. We even went to church with them on Sunday. It was so fun to visit with Paul and Lisa and have the kids all play together (they have 4). It really made the weekend nice, and now I am looking forward to March, when we are slated to visit again! Lisa did talk about the culture shock she is experiencing, moving from northern VA to western PA, LOL. It is just so different.

This morning, Anna and I got up early and drove to Bethesda for an allergy appointment. She had such problems with milk even in my breast milk as a baby, and she has had at least 2 reactions of hives after milk and ice cream. With Caleb's history, I was not surprised that she would have food allergies, and when the doctor at her 18 month well-baby appt. said she would give me a referral to the allergist, I jumped at the chance. The allergist did a prick test for milk (only), and I was completely unprepared for what happened--nothing. She did not react to milk! The allergist said that based on what had happened before, she probably outgrew a minor allergy, but it was such a complete shock. So now we have to go back on Jan. 23 at 8:00 for a milk challenge. She will drink a little milk at various intervals, eventually drinking 100 cc over 90 minutes. If she hasn't reacted during the actual test, then we will wait 2 more hours to make sure she doesn't react then. If still no reaction, then she will be free to have dairy stuff. While that would of course be really great, I will be sad for Caleb. He usually has such a great attitude about his allergies and all the stuff he can't have, but he does get sad sometimes. It was nice for him to know that Anna couldn't have stuff either, and he didn't feel so alone. Oh well.

Alright, back to reptiles. Tomorrow is my first big teaching day. I have never felt so uninterested or unprepared for teaching, LOL.

8 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

Caleb DOES have such a great attitude! It makes ME sad for him!

What a shock regarding Anna! Like you I would probably stand there with my mouth gaping open all the while trying to register what was happening...er...what was NOT happening!

We are praying over this way regarding tomorrow! It's almost over with! Then you can relax.

Tonya said...

Your husband left your Christmas letter on my husband's desk. When I called him, he told me that I wouldn't believe your letter. See, Eric has been working with Bob for a while (Eric hired him??? I think - ask Bob). Did they know they live parallel lives, a bit? We are also Christians, also homeschool and have 4 kids. I just love it when the guys see each other every day and yet don't have any idea about personal lives. Woman could never do that.

Just thought I would say "hi". Nice to meet you! Thanks for the letter. I hope that Eric and Bob can be an encouragement to each other at work.

Tonya D'Anna

**Oh, I noticed you read Ree's blog - so do I. See, so many similarities. :-)

Tonya said...

One last thing. Forgot to mention. Reptiles? We have a full grown Bearded Dragon if you need one for show and tell. We could figure out a way to get it to you. (We live in Maryland.)

Anonymous said...

I am now allergic to all 8 of the top 8 allergens, although I can have a fair amount of wheat occasionally.

I recently read an allergy book that quoted a study that said that kids who were bathed once or twice a week had 60% fewer allergies than kids who were bathed nightly. So, there's a great excuse for doing a little less in that area.

Have you tried goat or sheep cheese? Trader Joe's has a great sheep feta, 60% of those allergic to milk can tolerate sheep milk, it's tolerated at a higher rate than goat milk. Sheep milk yoghurt is also very yummy. Rice milk is also very yummy on cereal, I like it better than regular milk (not that I have a choice anymore!) on cereal.

Bob and Claire said...

Wow Liz--all 8! You must have to be very creative in your meal-planning! Caleb does like rice milk, and I do use that a bit, although I cook with soy more, since we can get it at Sams and is cheaper. He has not really been interested in any other kind of cheese, but I haven't tried the sheep cheese. TJs is close though, so I'll ahve to pick some up next time I'm in there.

LOL, in the winter time I think we only give baths once a week, so our kids should be the least allergic of anybody! In the summer time the older boys have to shower more often, but it's still usually not daily. I think we are lazy! : )

Anonymous said...

Yes, we're on the lazy side too, but now you have a good excuse!

We use a lot more dishes now. One meal, I made chili and had 3 pots of chili on the stove--a spicy regular chili for jeff, a non-spicy regular chili for the kids, and an organic special chili for me.

There are several meals I can eat that either Jeff or the kids like, but there are only 3 that I can eat that everyone likes. (I can't say I particularly like all of the meals I can eat myself, actually!) The three meals: turkey tacos, schnitzel, and pizza (amazingly, I can eat pepperoni!) I save my wheat up for pizza and cut it with oat flour, and use sheep cheese for both the pizza and the tacos.

I'm getting allergy shots starting next week. My BSF leader used to have all kinds of food allergies, after allergy shots for her other allergies, she can now eat everything but Dr. Pepper. The allergist I went to asked what I was allergic to, tree and plant wise, I replied, "all of them." He laughed. However, when he came back after the skin tests, he said I was right, I was allergic to every single one but pine. He also said I was a very interesting case and a very allergic person (it's always bad when a doctor says you're a "very interesting case.") However, he also said that the more allergic you are, the more helpful the shots generally are, so I'm hopeful. You can keep that in prayer.

I actually don't care too much about the pollen allergies, although it would be nice if they were a bit better. However, the food allergies are becoming more and more of a pain. They add soy or milk to 95% of the products in a normal grocery store, and 80% of the products in a health food store, when you add in my other allergens, it gets even more crazy.

Tonya said...

I've been perusing some of your blog. Wow, you write a ton! As you can tell, I just started my blog.

You went to Cedarville? When? I have a very good friend who went there while her husband was going to AFIT for his Master's. They are back, living in Cedarville now, while he teaches at AFIT. She also spends time on the WTM boards. They have 6 kids.

Where all have you been stationed since you married? I caught Colorado, but just a brief note. We met while Eric taught at USAFA. Got married and moved 3 months later!

Another funny thing we have in common - Eric is 6-1/2 years older than I am. Looks like you and I are the same age. I just turned 35, Eric is 41. :-)

Is Bob in town this week? Eric left for Denver and Colorado Springs this morning, due back late tomorrow night.

Nice chatting with you!

Bob and Claire said...

Hi Tonya! Wow, this is jsut getting too weird! Yes, I know Marie!! We went to the same dining out at W-P one time, back when we were both there and newlyweds! I graduated in '95. We left for Colorado as soon as I graduated, and we were there for almost 6 years. Bob was at Cheyenne Mt., then Peterson, then Shriever, and then USAFA where he was an AOC for '99 to '01. Then we moved to Wright-Pat, which is where my parents and best friend were (are, actually!), and then we moved here in '04.

And the age difference thing--how funny! There are actually 8 years between Bob and me, so I'm a little younger, and he's a little older, than you guys, but we match up pretty well! : )

Bob's in town this week. He had an appointment at Bethesda today, so he didn't make the TDY, which is nice for us. He gets to take Nathan to basketball practice tonight!

We are going to have to meet sometime, you know. I'm sure our kids would get along great too!