Tuesday, January 15, 2008

SInce I last posted . . .

Here are new things going on here . . .

. . . the Christmas tree is down! We're mowing right through those goals! Now, 20 pounds off by next weekend! LOL! We took it down Sunday night, mainly because we had our pastor over for dinner last night. Sometimes I think company is my biggest motivator. We have to have people over for me to get anything done.

. . . we have a new treadmill! The tread part of our last one had been slowly starting to fray, and in October it finally tore. That made it easy not to exercise, LOL. We do have a recumbent bike, so I was not without exercise options, but . . . somehow I was a lot less consistent. No more excuses, however--we have the new one all set up, courtesy of Bob! It is funny--it is still near the bottom of the line, but it is so much nicer than our old one! My most favorite feature is the built-in fan. Ahhh. I'm really liking it.

. . . Grace has been sick! I think she actually WAS sick last Wednesday night--she vomited twice and was running a fever. She has taken a long time to really get all the way better, though, and she still keeps throwing up at weird times. She has been throwing up once at night, somewhere between 1:30 and 6:30. There's no rhyme or reason to this, and she's fine the rest of the day, even after I've started her back eating solid food (she wasn't interested at all in it Friday or even much on Saturday). It's a mystery . . .

. . . I'm done teaching reptiles! This week, one of the boys, Eric, brought in his pet corn snake. That was actually really interesting. We all got to touch and hold the snake. "Spot" is about 3 ft. long, and Eric's had him for 3 years. He keeps him in an aquarium and feeds him frozen mice once a week that he heats up in the microwave. Yum! Spot was really kind of cute though, I must say. Then we talked about different tricks various reptiles have for defense and camoflage, and finally we watched a video that pretty much summarized what we've talked about these last 2 weeks. I remember watching videos in class, however, so I made up a sheet of multiple choice questions for them to hear the answers to as they were watching. That helped keep their attention. This week, it was the 4th graders that were more easily distracted, but that was mainly because everyone wanted to share some story of a reptile contact they, or someone close (or even not so close) to them had experienced at some point. I guess everyone has had some memorable reptile experience. I trotted out my old thriller, where my mom threw rocks at a habu (a venomous Asian snake) from our back porch in Okinawa until she had killed it. They were all very impressed.

Well, that's all that's new around here! How about for you?

2 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

I would hope they were all impressed...as well they should be! :) In my book she is a HERO!! Thank goodness the good Lord knows what each of us is capable of! Poor Pilot...he might have been biten and died because his momma would have fainted dead away!!! LOL!

As for motivation...people coming over has ALWAYS been my motivation. It always helped when I had people just dropping in, unannounced. That helped me tremendously. Now a days that doesn't happen all that often. Too bad because I would probably rise to the occasion and do better at keeping my home picked up. I've tried "pretending" that someone would be dropping in but, I have to admit, it just doesn't work (not like the real thing)!

Frozen mice cooked in the microwave. I hope he has his very own microwave. Really, I don't know that I could physically eat something if I knew it was cooked following the mice entree. Ewwww!

More wedding dresses today!! I am having so much fun! She did tell me, most likely, navy blue suits for the boys. Will keep you updated as I know more.

Beverly said...

Just got done catching up on your blog...I admit I did skim a bit. You are so wonderful about keeping this updated! I loved reading about your reptile lessons, though, and your goals for the year made me chuckle a bit. Our tree came down on January 6 but sat by the side of our house until just this last Tuesday. It is now GONE!