Saturday, January 26, 2008

Encouraging Words . . .

We made our big every-6-weeks run to the commissary on Thursday. We get tons of attention at the commissary, what with our caravan of 2 shopping carts, loaded to the gills, a stroller, and several kids orbiting the whole procession. Nathan was worth his weight in gold, as he kept Anna entertained by goofing around with a stack of coffee filters as a hat. I would say that at least 10 different people said something to me about how nice, well-behaved, etc. our family was, and one person stopped me to tell me that she had heard 6 people talking about us an aisle back and saying how great our kids were! Warms my heart and almost makes the whole trip worth it, LOL. But the nicest thing someone said was . . . . . . . .

"You don't look like you've ever been pregnant a day in your life, much less 6 times!"

LOL! What a bald-faced lie, but very encouraging none-the-less!

Four people also said the famous line, "Well! You finally got your girl!" I am always so glad that we also had Grace (who the people couldn't see because she was in the stroller behind all the carts), because then I could point her out, and say that we actually have TWO girls! That always stops people in their tracks, LOL. What?! They kept going even after they got their girl?! That must mean the second, third, and fourth boys weren't just dreadful disappointments, LOL!

Caleb and Luke were also very encouraging this afternoon. Caleb had asked what we were having for dinner, and I told him enchilada casserole.

Caleb: "Why do you always make such good things for dinner, Mom?"

Luke: "Because that's all she knows how to make."

Awwww! How sweet! I guess I'll keep cooking for them, even though they eat everything up like I haven't fed them in weeks. Good to know I'm appreciated!

3 comments:

Dy said...

Ah, yes, we've jokingly referred to this one as "the proof child" - boy or girl, it was proof that we just really enjoy our children and weren't just "trying for a girl". Yes, ALL of them. Yes, even the boys. *rolling eyes*

People are so funny. (And I do mean weird-funny, not necessarily ha-ha funny.)

Don't you just love people, though, who are encouraging and uplifting and say nice things? The man at the feed store today thanked the kids for being so well-behaved and said he truly enjoyed having them in the store. I could have hugged him. But, you know, it's a small town... :-S *grin*

Dy

Beverly said...

Very sweet! I always think of your family when I'm with my 4 anywhere. An older lady last week at the commissary asked with bulging eyes if they were "ALL" mine. Like I grab a couple of extra urchins to herd around the grocery store just for kicks. Gee, lady, we ONLY have FOUR children, not 1/2 dozen! ;-)

The Brooks Family said...

Ahhh, what great stories! Gotta love the commissary - never a dull moment!