Sunday, January 20, 2008

What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

Neutral

You're not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

'Personality

Click Here to Take This Quiz
Brought to you by YouThink.com quizzes and personality tests.

Beverly had a fun quiz over at her blog today. I've always thought I didn't have much of an accent, so I was eager to take this quiz. And it turns out I was right! I guess this is a result of my military brathood! (Beverly's blog had a cool map image that came with the quiz, but for some reason, that didn't translate on mine, so I have a box with an "x". Oh well!)

The link to my actual results page is here, and there you can see the map where my non-accent may possibly have come from. It's Illinois/Indiana/Ohio, which seems pretty accurate, as I have spent a good deal of time in Ohio! But you will also notice that Western PA is included on that map, and let me tell you, people in Western PA most definitely have accents! Bob is especially good at telling if people are from around Pittsburgh, but even I can usually pick up on it. Most of the members of his family have definite accents as well. Bob has lost his, however (thankfully, LOL).

6 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

I just took this and I scored neutral too! :) Not only do we share the same name (and, ahem, certain characteristics) but we also share the same accent! :)

Bob and Claire said...

The same "non-accent", you mean, LOL! : )

Johanna said...

I took the same quiz a few weeks back. I also am nuetral. I have always been very proud of the fact that I don't have an accent. Chris, on the other hand, is from Mississippi and is definitely southern. His accent is not nearly as thick as most of his famliy and friends from around there but it is still there. I think his has become less distinct from being in the military.

Tonya said...

Neutral here too. Moving around all the time sure does help! Although, I spent enough time in Texas and Oklahoma that I sometimes have a southern sounding word pop out. Yuck. I prefer neutral. :-)

Anonymous said...

I got neutral as well.

I don't think I have an accent, I did used to say "pop" for coke or soda since I grew up in the Pacific Northwest. When we lived in Texas, I had someone there say I had a "yankee" accent.

The funniest thing I've seen accent wise was a guy in the military with a strong New York accent who would say y'all a lot. The two just seemed to clash to me.

Now, it seems to be more natural to me, it is a useful word and many military folks have adopted it.

That was a good version of that quiz. My only objection was the roof question. I say it both ways and am never sure which way most people pronounce it, so I go back and forth depending on what I'm saying it with or how I feel.

Michele said...

Surprise, surprise . . . I had a northern accent. :) As soon as I showed Tim your e-mail, he jumped right in (before me) to take the quiz. He's got a Western accent. He was proud of what it had to say it was close to neutral -- but then I told him YOU WERE a neutral, non-accent. :) I think he wants to try the quiz again.