Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Taboo Memories

Bob is TDY this week, so the boys and I decided to play a game to fill the time after dinner. Nathan went downstairs to find a good one, and he came back up with Taboo. That game was really popular back when we first got married, and I always enjoy playing it, but we haven't played it in a long time. Nathan said that one of his teachers at co-op had played that with them during a game-time, and he thought it was really fun, so could we try it? Luke, Nathan, and I had a great time playing it, and we will definitely play more of it. What a good way to help kids (especially boys!) be able to articulate their thoughts and learn to describe things creatively! And without writing!! We didn't play competitively. Mainly, we each worked through 3 words, with the other 2 guessing. It was fun.

It also reminded me of a long-buried Taboo memory. When we lived in Colorado, we spent one Memorial Day weekend in a mountain cabin with the L's and another couple, the B's, who were out visiting from Ohio. We had just gotten our new Honda Odyssey minivan 2 months earlier, so we were still learning new things about it. We got the van all packed up and headed over to the L's house to meet up. On the way over, the van started making this horrible alarm noise, especially as we would turn a corner. I searched through the manual but couldn't find any description of this new warning sound. It sounded like it was for the sliding door, so at the L's house, we opened and shut the doors, all of them, several times. The thing was, the alarm only happened while we were driving, so we couldn't really recreate the sound. Nervously we drove off into the mountains.

Fortunately, the drive was fairly quiet, with not too much beeping, so we relaxed a little. We made it to the cabin with no mechanical problems, and the doors didn't fly open or anything, so that was good, although the noise was certainly loud and annoying when it happened. If only we knew what it was warning us about!

After we got there, I started unloading the van. As things shifted around, I heard the noise again. Hmmm . . . that's odd . . . the car is not even on. I dug around until I finally discovered what was making the noise--the buzzer for the Taboo game, which we had packed as a fun way to spend an evening. Good grief! That never even occurred to me (although I'm sure it occurred to you, seeing as how this post is about Taboo, LOL). So every time we went around a corner or over a hard bump, the thing would buzz. On the way home, we packed the game on the top, and amazingly, we didn't have any more problems.

3 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

UJ and I LOVE Taboo! Well, UJ LOVES the buzzer! ;)

Beverly said...

*chuckle* Great story! Brings back good memories of that game, which I remember playing often in high school, college, and the first couple years of our marriage. I guess my only funny memory associated with it is all the guys pretending to shave their pits with the buzzer.

Dy said...

ROFLOL!!!

We had a light-up caterpillar toy for that would sing and flash multi-colored lights when you pulled it along the floor. It was left in the back of the Suburban at some point, and so, between the boys and the radio and general road noise, I couldn't hear the music. But every once in a while, I'd see colored flashing lights in the rear view mirror and would panic, thinking I was being pulled over by a police car. I'd pull over, and the lights would stop. No cruiser ever pulled in, or passed. I thought I was losing my mind.

Eventually, I cleaned out the Suburban and found the "mystery cop" - and felt mighty foolish as I realized... police cars don't ever have pink lights.