Friday, May 23, 2008

We made it!!

We're here in Utah! We made it safely Thursday in time for dinner, after 4 days of driving. We left Monday and drove to Amy's house in Ohio. We ate a quick dinner at Youngs, and then we went to Zachary's baseball game, in time to see him make a spectacular double play on first base! We were not expecting it to be freezing cold in Ohio, but it was about 50 degrees and drizzling, so at Youngs I had to dig around in the back for our cold-weather clothes--the ones I thought we would only be needing POSSIBLY at Yellowstone. Ha! We wore our jeans and sweatshirts every day except one! It's supposed to warm up here over the weekend. Yay!

The driving went well. Halfway through, we switched Anna and Grace around, so Anna sat in the middle row, and Grace sat in the back. Anna had become very loud and insistent, so Bob and I thought she needed more feedback from an adult, LOL. That helped, so the cofiguration has remianed. The boys took turns switching around too, so everyone got to mix it up a bit. We listened to A Long Way From Chicago, Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang, and half of All Creatures Great and Small. They made the miles fly, as usual. I must say that listening is the way to go for James Herriot's books. I simply can not do the Yorkshire accent justice, either out loud or in my head!

We had one interesting time, thanks to Anna, at a Golden Corral, but that will be its own post when I have more time. The only other excitement was at the hotel in Cheyenne, WY, on Wednesday night, where Bob realized he was not wearing his wedding ring. A frantic search ensued, but we couldn't find it, and we couldn't even figure out when he had lost it. We decided we'd look in the car in the morning, but we both went to bed a bit sick to our stomachs, praying mightily. The enxt day, Bob searched the car but didn't find anything. Then, as I was packing up one of our pack-n-plays, it fell out on the floor! We're not sure how it happened, but we were all dancing around happily, thanking the Lord!

Now we're deep into final wedding preparations. This afternoon Sarah took Anna, Caleb, Jonathan, and me to the wedding site, so the kids could get a feel for where they'll be walking. James and Sarah are getting married in the rotunda at the Utah state capitol building, and it is going to be STUNNING. Oh, it is just going to be beautiful! I was so excited after seeing it all! The kids practiced, which was a good thing, so now I am just praying that Anna is cooperative here, and doesn't throw a temper tantrum and refuse to walk.

I did 3 loads of laundry last night and this morning, so now I have a good bit of folding in front of me. It's so fun to be here with family!!

3 comments:

Beverly said...

Hooray! Sounds like you guys are having fun. We read James Herriot's Treasury for Children with our Sonlight core this last year, and the kids LOVED the stories. I think I'll see if we can get All Creatures...on CD to listen to when we drive to Idaho. Thanks for the "review!"

Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels! Be safe!

Dy said...

Oh, I love Utah. It's one of the most truly majestic states there is. Ahhh, soak in those gorgeous mountains, beautiful sunsets, and nice, dry air for me! So glad you arrived safe and sound (and properly displaying all the necessary wedding rings - *gasp* - my heart sank when I read that part. Glad it ended well.)

Kiss that sweet girl, and I can't wait to hear about the Golden Corral episode. (We all have moments like those, don't we?)

Johanna said...

Glad to hear you made it safe. I can't wait to hear all about Yellowstone.