Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Where we're at . . .

Schooling: We're done for the next little while, which means until mid-June, when we get back from the big trip.

Caleb finished his phonics book awhile ago and moved into the first grade one, and he just finished his math book and moved into Saxon 2. Jonathan is working through his phonics book and is thrilled to be doing "real" math now!

Luke is a few lessons away from finishing Saxon 5/4, and then he'll move up to 6/5. Nathan has about 30 lessons left in 7/6, and then . . . I'm not totally sure if I'll just jump into Algebra 1/2 or have him do 8/7 first. Something to worry about when we get back, though.

He and Nathan both have about 35 lessons left in Rod and Staff (3 for Luke and 5 for Nathan). We didn't start R&S until late October I believe, since it took us longer than I thought to finish up Easy Grammar after Grace came.

We are on lesson 17 in Latina Christiana II. We've been taking this slowly, and we haven't actually done many new lessons since we left for Ohio. I felt like it was more important to really review the vocab, since there were so many new verbs lately. The last few lessons covered the principal parts of 4 conjugations of verbs, and it was all just a lot. We'll probably review more for the first week or 2 after we get back.

We haven't gone too far in history this year--we're only on chapter 14 of Story of the World 4. We'll do more of that this summer. We're moving into World War I, and I must say it's absolutely fascinating. I really never understood that war and what led up to it and drove it. We have been doing lots of outside history reading.

For science, we've been learning about atomic structure, chemical compounds, and so on. I love chemistry, so it's been fun to help the boys learn about this stuff. We'll definitely do more with some other books in this area this summer.

Packing: I've started all the laundry, and tonight I'll begin laying out the piles of everyone's clothes. The piles line the upstairs hallway! I've got plenty of lists, and I'm always adding stuff. Today we picked up the books on CD that I reserved from the library, and I put those, as well as the ones we have here, in the car. Our listening choices for this long trip include:
--All Creatures Great and Small
--Charlotte's Web
--Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang
--All the Way From Chicago
--The Long Winter
--Tale of Despereaux
--Galileo and the Stargazers (Jim Weiss)
--"Your Story Hour" CD on Louis Pasteur
--FOTF Chronicles of Narnia

We're getting excited! Less than a week until we leave!

5 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

i'm on pins and needles till your family and dan's family arrive!!! :D

Tonya said...

I thought you guys were leaving this past Monday. Eric said something about talking to Bob and I realized that maybe I was wrong! Imagine that.

I so want to get the FOTF Narnia series. My oldest hates the thought of it. Can't stand the fact that there is a witch in the stories. Sigh. I keep telling her it will be fine, but she gets way too nervous.

Bob and Claire said...

Tonya, Luke was actually the same way about them when we first got them. And he totally did not want to listen to the part where Aslan gets killed, even though we said it was like Jesus, and he rises again. But now (3 years later, LOL) he absolutely loves them all. I can't tell you how many times we've listened to them. They are all that good and well-done. Definitely get them before your trip west! They will make the drive FLY by.

Sandra said...

Have a wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

This is John from Memoria Press. I noticed that you are moving through Latina Christiana II. Are you using the Ludere Latine games book as well? If so, has this been helpful for you? I'd love to hear from you!

John
john@memoriapress.com