Wednesday, November 24, 2004

A BIG Christmas Present

Amy and I went shopping yesterday at Toys-R-Us because I had a $10-off coupon and a gift card (of uncertain value) that I wanted to use. I rarely go in Toys-R-Us because, frankly, I think most of their toys are glitzy, faddish junk that kids play with for 10 minutes and then forget. But I really wanted to use up these cards, so I decided I needed to get something there. I was very discouraged after wandering through the store, but as we were just about to go out, I saw a big pile of boxes. The boxes contained these big "Castle Blocks", like giant Legos, that you could use to make your own castle. There was even a door-thing and some windows. It's not a big castle--more of a facade, really, but I knew the boys would love it, especially since we're studying the Middle Ages this year. I already have bought for Nathan and Luke new knight outfits, so Caleb will be able to have our old helmet and shield all to himself. I figured the castle would just make this a fine "Middle Ages Christmas" all around, and best of all, a set of the blocks was $59.99, minus $10 with the coupon, AND minus $42.97 (!!!) on our gift card. I figured it would be something like $.50 left on there. I never dreamed it would be so much! How exciting! There is nothing I like better than getting a good deal on something I think will really be enjoyed! Now the only problem is getting this big box back home. It didn't look so big in the store, or even in the back of Amy's minivan, which had the back seat folded down. But in our minivan, it wouldn't lay down flat, and standing up, it takes up a great deal of room. How on earth will we get 2 big suitcases in there, but all the other assorted detritus that a large family travels with?! Hmm . . . maybe Grandma and Grandpa will have to play Santa and bring it out to D.C. when they come for Christmas. It could ride in their back seat or something and keep them company!

1 comment:

Pilot Mom said...

Here's another Praise for this Thanksgiving!! How cool! The boys will be thrilled! We need to have pictures this Christmas with all the knights and their castle! Love, AC