Thursday, November 18, 2004

Calvin and Hobbes

Nathan has discovered my old "Calvin and Hobbes" comic books. That is still one of my favorite comic strips, and when I read comics now, I can see a lot of influences that Bill Watterson has had on modern cartoonists. Nathan will just sit on the couch and read them for as long as I'll let him. He'll sit there the whole afternoon, and all I'll hear out of him is continuous giggling. It's cute. He's doing pretty well at understanding exactly why they're funny. A little while back, he was enjoying some old "Beetle Bailey" books, and I had to explain practically every one of those strips. Can you imagine how much "funniness' those strips lose when you have to go through and define every little detail?! When I reread Calvin now as a homeschooling mom, all I can think is, "What a great candidate for homeschooling Calvin would be." I was just reading a strip in It's a Magical World where he and Hobbes found a snake and started asking all these questions, realizing they didn't know anything about snakes. So Hobbes says that maybe his mom could get them a book, and they are both excited about becoming experts on snakes until Calvin remembers that it's summer vacation, and he doesn't want to learn anything. Hobbes thinks for a minute, then says, "If nobody makes you do it, then it counts as fun." The last panel shows them both hunched over a book saying, "coooooooolll". The fun of homeschooling is exploring those interests and watching your kids get excited about learning things. And the even greater thing about it for boys is they don't have to sit inside at a desk all day long, feeling wiggly.

No comments: