Friday, November 19, 2004

Happy Birthday, Amy!

Today is the birthday of my best friend, Amy. When I say "best friend", I really mean "sister", because that's how I think of her. We've known each other since fifth grade, when we were both new to Dayton Christian. We didn't really get to each other well until high school, though, where we cheered together, carpooled together, and were an incredibly accurate but very slow pair of lab partners. Then we roomed together in college, even sharing the same major (biology--still lab partners!), and of course we were in each other's weddings. Before college, everyone always warned us about rooming with your best friend, but we just smiled--we knew there would never be something we'd disagree about that seriously, and there never has been. We are simply too much alike, and our nonconfrontational personalities mean we just don't annoy each other. I've never met another person who always knows exactly how I'm feeling--because that's how she would also react to the same situation. It's funny how our brains run on the same track. Just the other day we were talking, and she mentioned how she didn't have any outside decorations for her new house, her neighbors all go all-out for Christmas, but she didn't want to spend a whole lot of money, so she was thinking about buying those little candles for her windows because they weren't specifically Christmas, but you could use them the whole winter long. I had to laugh, because I had just gone through the same line of reasoning myself earlier that day! Now that we're in Virginia, and she's still back in Ohio, I miss her so much. Even though we knew we would only be stationed in Ohio a few years, I just got so used to again being a part of her life on a daily basis. Thank goodness for cheap long distance and emails so I can still vent to her when I need to (often)! For a going-away present, she made me a scrapbook of pictures, cards, notes, and memories from all the years of our friendship, and it is one of my most treasured possessions. I LOVE to look through it again and again, laughing at all the great times we've had! So today on her birthday, I just wanted to say how thankful I am for her, and for her wonderful friendship these past 21 years. She's truly been one of God's greatest blessings in my life.

"We've shared so much laughter; shared so many tears.
We've a spiritual kinship that grows stronger each year.
We're not sisters by birth, but we knew from the start--
God put us together to be sisters in heart."

1 comment:

Bob and Claire said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.