Sunday, November 07, 2004

Haircut Night

Tonight was haircut night for ALL the boys in the family. One can always tell when it's time because of Nathan's cowlick. He has a complicated "double whorl" hair pattern, which looks like dueling hurricanes rotating right beside each other at the crown of his head. Right in between the 2 whorls is a single line of hair, and it literally sticks straight up when it isn't short enough. Tonight Caleb went first, then Luke, then Jonathan (who wanted to be a really big boy and sit by himself on the stool for the first time--usually I hold him), then Nathan, and lastly Bob. I have only recently begun cutting Bob's hair, and I still do it reluctantly, since the stakes are much higher. Plus, I am pretty much a one-trick pony with regards to hair styles I can do, so his haircut always looks like a slightly longer version of the boys'. He usually gets his hair cut at a "real" barber shop in between my haircuts, so I guess it all evens out. And just think of how much money we're saving just cutting out (lol!) every other haircut. As far as the boys go, I would definitely say that I am complimented most often on their haircuts when strangers see us out shopping or whatever. Everyone loves them. They often come up and rub their hands on their heads too, although this tends to mostly happen to Caleb. His personality is the most inviting for such liberties! I don't think any stranger has EVER done that to Luke!

Now for a special treat, Bob is giving everyone a bath in our big bathtub. At the end, he turns on the jets and makes bubbles, which Nathan and Luke love, but Caleb is scared of . . . except that now he is a big boy, so before the bath he was loudly proclaiming to everyone that now he LIKES the bubbles. We'll see what happens when the jets go on, however. I have my doubts. [Time passes] Well, the bubbles are on, and Caleb has stayed in the tub. I guess he is a big boy now! The only thing we have left is his pacifier at bedtime. On our way back from Ohio in October, his car binky broke--well, actually just the thing that clips it to his clothes, but I took it away and said it was broken. I think he's on to me though, because he has asked a couple of times if he can just "look at it to make sure it's broken". I have no intention of fixing it, and slowly he has decreased the frequency of his asking about it. He has no desire whatsoever to give up his bed binky, and I am not going to battle over it until after Thanksgiving and that trip to Ohio. Maybe he'll give it up on his own before then! Wouldn't that be an early Christmas present for me!

Claire

2 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

Bob, I think you must truly love and trust Claire since you allow her to cut your hair! I am so proud of her for being brave enough to do it! :) However, I did do James' some until he did it himself...then, sometimes I just needed to touch up the very back top of his head. That's what is so wonderful about shaving the heads, as opposed to UJ's which one actually has to use sissors to cut.

Tell Caleb we are soooo proud of him for being BIG enough to stay in the bathtub with the jets going!
Love, AC

Pilot Mom said...

Hey, Claire and Bob, check out the counter on the bottom of my blog! I managed to muddle my way through it. I am the most surprised person of all! :) If I can do it, you can do it! Go for it!!