Sunday, February 06, 2005

Change

I think I've already mentioned that I don't like new things or change, but right now there seems to be a lot of both in my life! And it is the little things that are really bumming me out. Yesterday I saw that one of my favorite blogs, Diplomad, is not going to post anymore. Today I discovered that my absolute favorite message board, The Well Trained Mind message board, has switched to a totally new format. AKKK! Stop the craziness! So far the new board has been incredibly slow--and that is on my parents' computer, which is DSL. I can only imagine how slow it will be at home with dial-up. I guess God is saying that I don't need to read it so faithfully, but it's always been kind of a place of stability in the crazy day-to-day life of homeschooling, and I didn't need for that to change right now. Like one of the other posters said, I'm not really that technical, so I think it will be hard for me to figure out how to make the board "work" for me, especially if it keeps on being so slow. Grr. Why do things always have to change? I frequently ask myself this question, because frankly, I would be pretty happy if things just went on as they always have been! One reason the world operates this way, I guess, is that it constantly provides a contrast to the steadily-unchanging character of God. Also, it keeps me clinging less tightly to my ways and things. It's hard to hold tightly to something if it's shifting around all the time. Now, if I could just hold onto the Lord instead of flailing around, then I'd be just fine! But that's hard too. I'm sure you're wondering why on earth a simple format change in a message board could be so earth-shattering, but really that's just a small thing coming on top of a wave of potential huge changes this year and in the next 2-3 years as well. In fact, I don't think I can think of any other time in our marriage where Bob and I have been on such different pages as far as what we think we should be doing--I don't think we're even in the same book! This is definitely causing a lot of tension here. I'm not going to go into all the details here yet, because a lot of the things might not work out, and in that case I'd be worrying about nothing. (Well, I guess I'm stressing no matter what happens, but at least you all won't be!) So when things firm up more, I'll tell more. In the meantime, I guess I'll attempt to figure out this crazy new board.

2 comments:

Kim said...

If it's any consolation, Claire, I find the prospect of the new board format kind of sad in a way, too, because I don't like change. I tried using it this morning, but it was sooooo slow. I hope it isn't like that when it's finally "officially" launched.

As for not being on the same page with a husband, I can relate to that. We've been married almost 18 years now, and we have had many occasions when we were seemingly on different pages. It comes in seasons like that, but underneath, where the rubber meets the road, we're likeminded. We are kind of different theological pages right now, and sometimes it's hard, but I keep trusting God.

Bob and Claire said...

Thaks for the encouragement, Kim. You're right--I need to step back and look at the big picture and know that underneath all the confusion of the present, we are likeminded. That's a good thing to be reminded of.