Sunday, February 27, 2005

Happy Birthday, Luke!

Today our second son, Luke Daniel, is 6 years old. He is a wonderfully healthy boy (well, technically not 100% right this second, but anyways . . .), but when he was born, he had some problems. He was born at 3:21 AM. Luke had a bowel movement while still in the uterus and aspirated some meconium during delivery. As a result, he had some trouble breathing, so the nursery kept him under observation until 6:40 AM. He got dehydrated under the warming lamp, so at 9:00 he started having circulation problems (turned purple like Barney), and they could not put in an IV line. They had to put a catheter into his umbilical vein, and they also started him on oxygen. He also had chest electrodes and a temperature monitor, as well as a pulse/oxidation monitor. Because there was fluid on his lungs, they thought he might have pneumonia. All the tests turned out negative, however, so apparently it was just more meconium. Two days later, they took him off the precautionary antibiotics, and then next day, March 2, we were able to go home, although Luke remained on oxygen for 3 more weeks at home. This was such a traumatic time for me, but now months (years?) go by, and I don't even think about it. Today I am again so thankful to God for sparing Luke, bringing him back to health, and giving us 6 years with him. Thank you, Lord, for your faithfulness!

Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. Psalm 28:6-7

1 comment:

Pilot Mom said...

We join you in celebrating Luke!!!