Thursday, February 24, 2005

Still sick . . .

Influenza (flu) is a viral infection that causes a fever, runny nose, cough, headache, a feeling of illness, and inflammation of the lining of the nose and airways.

That definition is straight from the Merck Manual, and it perfectly describes what's going on here at our house. We've been scrounging around for food, existing mainly on breakfast foods (cereal, oatmeal, and pancakes that Bob made last night). We've been living in our pajamas, and Bob and I take turns dragging ourselves out of bed to help with the boys. Fortunately the older boys have been pretty happy to watch videos all day and play or read by themselves, and Jonathan has been taking several naps a day. Bob was supposed to have a doctor's appointment today, but he ended up canceling it this morning because he didn't feel well enough to drive 40 minutes to Bethesda, the nearest military treatment facility, especially since it's snowing. The boys seem to be feeling better this morning. Their temperatures did not come up this morning, so I haven't had to give them any medicine yet today. They haven't had the bad coughing that Bob and I have had, so hopefully they will be over this more quickly. My chest is so painful, and I am still really achy all over. I think I've always been a little proud of the fact that I rarely get sick, and it's been hard to be so sick with everyone else being so sick too. I can't remember a time when we'll all been so sick at one time, and hopefully it will never happen again!

Again, from the Merck Manual : After 2 or 3 days, most symptoms disappear rapidly, and the fever usually ends, although fever sometimes lasts up to 5 days. However, bronchitis and coughing may persist for 10 days or longer, and changes in the airways may take 6 to 8 weeks to completely resolve. Weakness and fatigue may persist for several days or occasionally for weeks.

1 comment:

Pilot Mom said...

Oh, Claire, I feel so bad for all of you! I wish I could be there and cook up some homemade chicken noodle soup!

I remember when UJ, James and I all had strep at the same time! We moved our tv into our bedroom, put on videos for James and we all three stayed in our bed for 2 or 3 days!

We'll keep praying for a rapid recovery! Love you!