Monday, August 25, 2008

Facebook Etiquette

So I went ahead and joined Facebook. There are plenty more cheerleading pictures where that one came from, LOL. Fun memories.

Now I'm looking at people to be "friends" with, such as old classmates, and that raises all sorts of questions. Like, it just seems sort of rude and presumptive to ask to be friends with someone I haven't really even thought about, much less kept in contact with, for say 17 years. Do most people say yes if they just remember you? (And again, it seems a little presumptive to assume people will remember me after 17 years, but we did have a small class, LOL.) Is the goal to have as many friends as possible, even if the connections are tenuous? How about if really you are just nosy and want to see what people are up to? Also, when asking someone to confirm you as a friend, should you always put a personal note in there? So far I always have, but I'm running out of things to say. But maybe people don't respond if there's not anything personal? I just don't know. If you have any Facebook insights, feel free to share them! In the meantime, if you're on there, look me up--I'll be your friend! LOL--sounds so junior-high-ish.

5 comments:

dog_and_boy said...

I don't think it rude at all to friend someone you haven't seen or talked to in a long time. If they remember you, it's a chance to just say hi or to get back in touch. If they don't, then oh well. I usually only add people I was or still am friends with, but I know a lot of people who just try to have as many friends as possible, so it's sort of up to you. As to writing a personal note, write one if you want one back. It's not bad if you don't. Well, not for us, anyway. I don't know if real adults are different. Anyway, it's cool you're on facebook!

Johanna said...

I joined facebook after you posted that picture. Just to check it out. Unfortunately I can't ask access or use the sit yet because it says they don't support earthlink e-mail addresses. So I have to download some special software or get a new e-mail address to use it. O well. I will still be your friend though. LOL

Anonymous said...

I'm on facebook... look me up! :) Lots of old White Sulphur Springs people on there. Although they all got old, and I feel like I'm still about 20! It's shocking! I can no longer live in denial about my real age!

Sandra said...

I'll be your friend, too. :) It's funny...I was just talking about facebook etiquette with a friend of mine yesterday.

debbypotter said...

Claire, it's been a LOT of years since Greg and I last saw you and Bob. I think it's neat that we live in a time with computer networking like fb, so that we can build our own 'small town' experience no matter where we are. :)