Monday, August 11, 2008

Luke's new torture device


Here it is: "the expander". Luke got it installed this morning, and I practiced turning it 2 times. I have to put this metal "key", which is on a long stick, into this little hole in the middle of the device. Then I turn it all the way to the back. That's least favorite part, and I can see why, as the stick goes way back in his mouth. SO we get to do that once a day for 25-30 days or so. Then we can stop with the turning, but the device stays on for several more months, until his top jaw has separated enough.

Luke had a hard time eating lunch today. He had chicken noodle soup (they recommended soft foods for the first day), but it really bugged him that food kept getting stuck up there. We have all sorts of little brushes and tools to help keep it clean, but I guess it was just an annoying feeling, so he hardly ate anything at all. Of course, he is one of my skinniest kids, so this is not a good thing! Maybe I need one of those things after the baby comes, LOL.

Poor Luke will also have a rough time next Monday. He is scheduled to have 2 of his bottom baby teeth pulled. That, combined with the expander, should really make his mouth feel pleasant. Lots of ice cream next Monday night! Good thing the Olympics are on to distract him.

Speaking of the Olympics, we've really been enjoying watching them. Of course, the boys miss watching the marquee events in the evening, but frankly, when you're an 11 year old or younger boy, a swimming pre-lim or semi-final is just as exciting as the final! Plus, some of the fun, different sports are shown in the morning, like rowing and water polo. They really got into U.S.'s water polo win this morning! School was done in record time. I'm foreseeing a lot of that these next 2 weeks, LOL. And of course I found a video of the mens 4x100 relay from last night for them to watch. That was just TOO exciting to miss! Go U.S.A.!!

4 comments:

Johanna said...

The 4x100 last night was sooo awesome. I wish the boys had been up to see it. We have really been enjoying the Olympics as well.

Anonymous said...

poor guy... that does not look comfortable. noah is also suppose to get an expander sometime... we don't have dental insurance so i'm hesitating, i guess.

thanks for the pic... ice cream and olympics makes a good combo for me... hope Luke can enjoy it too :)

take care

Bob and Claire said...

Jenna, this whole "phase 1" (expander through first set of braces) cost about $2600, and our insurance paid half. Makes me wonder about "phase 2", LOL. It's never good when they start talking about phases. That's where our rebate check went this year!

Michele said...

Thomas had a 3 teeth pulled back in Feburary + a cavity filled at the same time. I was truly amazed at how fast he recovered. Once the gas wore off, he was ready to eat. I think that I felt worse because I didn't know how he would do!
By the way, I was hoping to get some great potty training evidence from you (LOL), but you failed me! :0 I know that sooner or later he'll come around -- just hoping it is sooner . . . we'll keep the prune juice around here for a while.