Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Dentist Appointment

Anna had a dentist appointment today. The boys and she all went in for teeth cleaning back in June, where the dentist found that she had 2 spots on her teeth without enamel. It didn't form properly in the womb, and so now those spots needed to be sealed. The appointment in June didn't go all that well. I sent her on back with the hygenist, along with Luke, who would be getting his teeth cleaned at the same time right next to her, but soon Luke came out to get me, saying that Anna was too scared. Indeed, when I went back she was stiff as a board in the chair, with a look of abject terror on her face. I was able to get her to lay back and open her mouth so her teeth could be cleaned, but it was definitely not an easy thing. I was not looking forward to today at all!

The Lord was working things out, however, starting with my Aunt Claire being out here to visit. That meant I could leave everyone else here at home and just focus on Anna, which was a huge relief. When we walked back, she was again very scared, clutching my hand and being totally uptight. I sat her down in the chair, and I sat on the end of it, holding her hand and talking through what was happening to the college-aged girl in the next chair, who was getting her teeth clean. ("Look how nicely the big girl is laying there with her mouth wide open! That's because it doesn't hurt! And that noise is just like a little vacuum, sucking away the water!") Anna became a little more relaxed, but when the dentist approached her chair, she tightened right up again and did not want to lay back in the her chair. At this point, the dentist suggested that I lay back in the chair and let her lay on me. Perfect! She relaxed right away against me, opened her mouth right up, and we had no further problems whatsoever. She was not even tense at all! It was such a sweet picture of trust!

As her little prize, she got this lovely pair of sunglasses, LOL. She's stylin' now!

No comments: