Saturday, August 08, 2009

Quiet Day

I have been looking forward to today for a very long time! Bob took Caleb, Jonathan, Anna, and Grace up to PA for the weekend. Today is the annual company picnic for his dad's company at the amusement park close to them, and it's an annual tradition for the family to go. Actually, I have been pregnant/nursing for the past 3 years, so I haven't gone since Anna was a baby . . . heat and crowds just don't do it for me, especially when I am pregnant or nursing! Usually Bob takes the 4 boys, but this year Nathan and Luke were invited to Caleb McC's birthday party this afternoon. So Bob has taken the middle 4 kids, Nathan and Luke are at their party, and Faith is napping. I am practically alone in the house!!

After Faith and I dropped the boys off, we went to Kohls. I wanted to buy some running shoes because I have started the Couch to 5K running program. When we pulled up, I noticed that the parking lot was very crowded and busy, and the store was packed. It turns out that this is the annual "tax-free shopping weekend" here in VA. It originally started for school supplies, but now it seems to be for everything. Faith was happy hanging out in the stroller, so I bought 3 shirts and 2 pairs of capris (wow--clothes for me!), the afore-mentioned pair of running shoes, some new underwear (again--something for me!), and Christmas presents for Caleb and Jonathan. (Don't tell, but they are NFL jerseys, which were on sale, as well as having no sales tax!) It was a very successful afternoon!

Now, or at least once I get off the computer, LOL, I am planning on spending the rest of Faith's nap time planning my co-op lessons on Ancient Egypt. I don't teach until October, but we're having a planning meeting for our 5th week activity next week, and I want to know what all I'm going to cover. I also plan on spending some time getting my Classical Conversations stuff organized and plan out my first few tutor session. Maybe tonight, after Nathan and Luke go to bed, I'll even do some scrapbooking! I would love to start Grace's little book.

And of course, since Caleb is gone, we've officially declared a dairy-fest. We had grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch, and we'll have a chicken/monterey jack soup, which is SOOO yummy, for dinner. Tomorrow is our monthly fellowship meal after church, and for once I do NOT have to make sure I bring a dairy-free dish and dessert to ensure Caleb has something to eat! Nathan has requested au gratin potatoes.

I'm off to enjoy the quiet and get some planning done.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, went to Kohl's today because they had a coupon in the paper for $10 off $20. Of course, I had to buy something for Emily. The good thing is whatever I buy can be used by our second granddaughter. The extra 8.75% tax-free incentive was a welcome surprise to me. I was amazed by the full parking lot and the line at the cashier was as long as it is the day after Thanksgiving.

Melinda's Mom

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

I love days like these! Way to go, Claire!

xoxo, Veronica in CA

Beverly said...

Fun! I love being home by myself, too. :-) (Or practically by myself!) Your chicken/mont. jack soup sounds good...wanna post the recipe for us?!