Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A New Look For Nathan

Way back on November 20, 2008, I took Nathan and Luke in for physicals. They did a little vision test, and the tech said that Nathan needed an eye exam because it looked like his eyes were 20/50. Obviously I got on that right away . . . not. I knew he needed to get seen, but with the baby coming, I just never even got around to seeing what eye doctors around here even take Tricare. Eventually I did look that up and found Hour Eyes not too far away, but still . . . I never got around to it. I guess that's the beauty of homeschooling--you don't spend much of your time staring at blurry screens way up in front of a classroom! Last Sunday Nathan did mention that he couldn't read the song words on the screen down in front, and my mom said that when he and Luke were out there in July, they would watch Jeopardy every night, and Nathan would sprint close to the TV each time to read the question. So finally I got around to taking him in last Friday for an eye exam. His eyes are 20/70, and we went straight over to WalMart and ordered glasses! (I didn't want to chance losing the prescription or something!) He tried on a bunch of pairs of frames, wanting to know if I thought he looked like Uncle Dan (a very handsome guy, I'll have you know!).

The glasses came in yesterday, and we picked them up. As he walked around the store with them on, he kept commenting on how crisp and bright everything was, and how he could read things so clearly now! I asked him how far away he had to be to read a sign without his glasses, and I was so amazed to find out it was really pretty close! He is the first child to need glasses, and Luke still had 20/20 vision at that checkup, so Nathan might be the only one for awhile. But I think I'll move faster on the next person. Poor oldest child--such a guinea pig!

Here is a picture of Nathan's new look. I don't know why it's so blurry. I didn't realize it until he had already gone to bed, and I wanted to be sure to post tonight so interested parties could be sure to see what he looks like!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nathan does look like Uncle Dan!

Pilot Mom said...

Awe, I should have made you go while I was there, then I could have seen him in person. Styling, Nathan, Stylin' my man!! :)