Saturday, August 15, 2009

Some Recipes

I have had a few requests for recipes, so I am going to share 2 of them today. First of all, the recipe for the chicken/monterey jack soup that we had on Saturday. This is one of my collection of soups that are ready in 30 minutes or less, but I think it is the only one Caleb can't have, which is why we have it so rarely. It's not the healthiest, but it sure is creamy and delicious!

Chicken/Monterey Jack Soup

2 1/2 cups water
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 can chopped green chilies
1 can cream of potato soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/8 tsp. garlic salt
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
2 cups chicken cooked and chopped
8 ounces monterey jack cheese shredded

Bring water, tomato, and green chilies to a boil in large saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes. Stir in soups, garlic salt, milk, and chicken. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Place shredded cheese in serving bowls and ladle hot soup over. [If I don't have a fresh tomato, then I use a can of diced tomatoes, which I add with the remaining ingredients instead of boiling. Also, I never use garlic salt. I just throw in some garlic and some salt, LOL. And I also just use whatever amount of frozen cooked chicken I happen to have. So the recipe is pretty forgiving.]


When my Aunt Claire was out, I made a blueberry dessert from a recipe in the Pittsburg paper. My mother-in-law is so kind that she sends me the weekend crossword puzzles from their paper, because they have really great crosswords. The bonus is that I also get to read those sections of their paper! I was going to give the recipe to my aunt, but actually I thought the recipe was just okay. Later on I found the blueberry recipe I usually make, which I made for Bible study last night. I really like it, so I thought I'd go ahead and post it, which came from an old issue of Quick Cooking magazine many years ago.

Blueberry Kuchen

1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. lemon peel
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 c. milk
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

Combine first 6 ingredients. Add milk, butter, egg, and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes or until well-blended. Pour into greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with blueberries, and then with topping.

Topping

3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. butter, melted

in a bowl, combine sugar and flour; add butter. Toss with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over blueberries. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until lightly browned.

[I never have lemons around, so I will squirt a little lemon juice in when I'm adding the liquid ingredients. Also, on Friday I used frozen blueberries that I didn't thaw before using. When I took the dessert out of the oven, it looked like the blueberries had popped and exploded all over! It tasted fine, but it looked messy, LOL. So maybe you should thaw the frozen blueberries before using.]

2 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

thanks for the recipes! yum!

Lynnea said...

I fixed your soup for dinner tonight. It was very yummy!!!!