Saturday, January 28, 2012

Candy Question

I was perusing the kids' Clubhouse magazine over lunch today. This year Clubhouse is celebrating its 25th birthday, so it had a little comparison chart for what was popular back in 1987, and what is popular in the same category now. So for example, cassettes were popular back in 87, and iPods and cell phones are popular now. Gas was apparently $ .89 a gallon, versus $3.50 now, although I wasn't driving back in '87, so I don't really remember, LOL.

But here was the weird thing--Clubhouse claims that Atomic Firealls and Bit-O-Honey were the most popular candies from 1987, while Snickers and Reece's Cups are popular now. Seriously?! Fireballs and Bit-O-Honey?! I would never have eaten a Fireball, and I would only have eaten a Bit-O-Honey if there was absolutely no other sweet options available, and I was a freshman in high school in 1987. I think of both of those as sort of the "get a big bag for cheap to pass out at Halloween because you're too stingy to buy the good stuff" candies. I didn't know anyone who would have preferred eating them to a Snickers or a Reece's Cup, both of which were certainly popular back in 1987!

Seriously--who would pick anything over Snickers or Reeces? Okay, M&Ms too. How come those didn't make the list?! Allergies is the only thing I can think of!

Clubhouse also had a little paragraph about how kids who grew up reading the magazine are now working there. So maybe they just polled those young whippersnappers and asked them what candies they thought were popular back in the olden days of 1987. In which case I should be glad that horehound candy and peppermint sticks didn't make the list!

1 comment:

Lynnea said...

I loved Fireballs (still do) and would often chose them along with a Snickers. :-)