Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Easy Chicken Noodle Soup

No one has thrown up since early this morning, so I am cautiously hopeful that this bug is behind us. No one really ate much of anything all day either, with the exception of Nathan and Jonathan. It turns out that cleaning up all that puke took my appetite right away too, LOL. But I was getting a bit hungry by dinnertime, and I decided to make some chicken noodle soup. This is an easy recipe that is really tasty--and hopefully it will stay down for everyone!

Easy Chicken Noodle Soup

1 T olive oil
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
2-3 cloves garlic
as much chicken broth as needed--I used . . . hmmmm . . . 1 big can (48 oz) and 2 little cans (14.5 oz), and I probably could have used one more small can
1 pound cooked chicken (I always have bags of this--okay, more like 2 pound bags--in my freezer)
1 1/2 c egg noodles (I just eyeballed about half of a 16 oz. package)
1 c sliced carrots (I dumped in a whole bag a frozen sliced carrots--did I mention how tired I was?!)
1/2 t. dried basil
1/2 t. dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot over medium heat, saute onion and celery in olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes (add the garlic in for the last 2-3 minutes). Pour in chicken broth, and stir in chicken, carrots, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Add noodles and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

No comments: