Saturday, January 07, 2012

What's New in 2012?

A haircut for me! That is actually a big deal, since my last haircut was in February 2011, back when we were visiting in Ohio for our winter break. Usually my plan is to find a cheap place where I can walk in and be done in a short time after the person just trims my hair a bit, since I have no ideas about what to do with my hair!

There's a lady in our church who has a real gift for working with hair. I can't even say how many times I've gone up to someone in the past year whose hair looked really great, and the answer has been, "Oh, Suzy cut my hair!" We have a bunch of ladies in our church with naturally-curly hair like mine, and she always does a great job with their hair. One of the families in our co-op lives across the street from her, and one of their daughters got an amazing haircut from her this past summer. But I was very intimidated to make an appointment with her--she is always so polished-looking, while I am frumpy and frizzy-headed, so I was worried she would take on look at my scraggly hair and be like, "I have no idea what to do with this mop!" And then where would I be?!


But at our women's fall retreat this year, Suzy was in my small group, and she wasn't at all too polished to talk to, LOL, so I decided to call and make an appointment. Although I move at glacial speed, so I didn't get around to calling until after Thanksgiving. And by that time she wasn't taking any new clients until after the New Year. The lady at the desk sounded like she thought I would be disappointed, but in reality, it was perfect timing! After Thanksgiving I was looking at visiting Bob's family, finishing co-ops, going to Great Wolf Lodge, finishing Christmas stuff like chocolates and present-shopping, visiting my family--I definitely didn't really need to add in a new haircut to all that! So I made the appointment for Tuesday, Jan. 3--after all the stress of the holidays was over, but before co-ops start again!


It was so nice to go to someone who really knows what they are doing! She spent a ton of time with me beofre even cutting my hair, going through all of my hair-care routine (well, that didn't take too much time for me to talk about my part, LOL), and giving me a ton of hints for how to better care for my hair. I told her my main requirement was that whatever she did had to not take much time to do, since I definitely don't have any extra time at this stage of my life. and then she went to town! Another lady walked by and said, "Oooh, look at all that hair on the ground!" So now my hair is short, and it's really easy to work with. I have to remind myself not to run my fingers through the curls all the time (that separates the curl strands and contributes to frizziness!), LOL. Bob has always preferred me with short hair, so he was thrilled. The kids were . . . surprised by the change, LOL. Nathan is going to be one of those men who only wants his wife to have long hair . . . but everyone seems to have adjusted! Micah was funny. He stared and stared at me for awhile when I first got home, but you could practically see him think, "Hey, the milk's still there, so who really cares", LOL.


And I've already made another appointment for May, right after testing is over. I'm going on the "2 or 3 haircuts a year" plan now!

1 comment:

Lynnea said...

Hey Claire. Love the new haircut. Suzy is amazing. I love how she talks you through what would look good with the shape of your face, etc.

You should work hard to cure Nathan of the "long hair disease". LOL Paul has the same disease. :-)