Sunday, September 11, 2005

Paradise--Our Clean Garage

Yesterday we cleaned our garage. It has been so hot this summer that we hardly set foot in the garage except to get into the minivan, so it was umm . . . crowded . . . with all the junk we had just kind of tossed around in there. Well, no more! It is as clean as a whistle! In fact, if it weren't for the fact that we have one of the world's largest collections of boys' bikes and other outdoor ride-on type toys, Bob could probably fit his car in there too, even though it really is a SMALL 2 car garage. We were so absolutely spoiled by the enormous 3 car garage we had in Ohio. Sigh. No looking back and painting pictures of Egypt, as the Sarah Groves song goes! : ) Yesterday after we were done, I was sitting in our newly clean and organized garage, and I realized that I would rather sit out there than be inside, where it is definitely NOT clean and organized! Maybe I can just move my rocking chair out there.

In other news, today the boys start AWANA again. We have gone back and forth about this. Our church is too small, so they don't offer programs like that. Last year we did AWANA at the church where the L's go and where we have our homeschool co-op. It was just fine, but they have a small facility for the numbers of people attending, so they have a few odd things. First, only 4 year olds can be Cubbies, so Caleb would have had to wait another year to start. Second, only Cubbies and Sparks are at the same time --the Truth-in-Training group (where Nathan is this year) is later on Sunday afternoons, so that would really take up our entire Sunday together time. Luke would be gone 4:00-6:00, and then Nathan would be gone 6:00-8:00! That just sounds crazy and stressful. So we decided (this afternoon, about 1 hour before it started, LOL!) to try AWANA at Christian Fellowship Church in Ashburn. This is where the boys are doing their Upwards soccer program, so we're hoping they see some familiar faces. Our friends the P's who are also in our OCF Bible study and go to our church send their girls there for AWANA, so there will at least be 2 familiar faces! Luke was not real excited about trying something different, so we'll see how it goes. Nathan thought we should try it so Caleb could go--what a sweet big brother! I was ready to just not do it at all this year, but the boys do really enjoy it, and I'm not very disciplined otherwise about having them memorize Bible verses, so it does fill an important place for us.

5 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

Oh no! Don't let them bookmark you! :)

Do you see the little trash can at the bottom left of his entry? If not, refresh up above...maybe a couple of times. That is what I had to do a while back. Anyway, once there is the trash can, click on it and then follow the directions for deleting! Hope that helps. Then go in and set up the word verification...no more spam!

Don't you love a clean garage? We have sure enjoyed ours!

I'm glad the boys are doing Awana again. The memory verses now, when they are young, are invaluable! Keep it up! Love you all!

Dy said...

We aren't doing AWANA w/ the boys, but I did it when I was a child, and loved it. The memory work in particular will stick with them their entire lives. Enjoy! (And maybe take a good book? I don't remember the parents being too involved in the actual meetings, so if it's still like that, this might be a great time slot for you to read up on something new!)

Oh, as for the spam-attack, you might want to try going into your settings, and change the spot where it lists updates in the "most recent entries" part of Blogger. I noticed I got hit w/i two minutes of posting an entry, and wish I'd just tried that first instead of going gung-ho on the word verification. I don't know if that would have done the trick, but it might be worth a try - and if it works, let us know! ;-)

Can't wait to hear how AWANA went tonight!
Dy

Bob and Claire said...

Yes, that's a good idea, Dy. I hadn't thought of that. AWANA went really well! The boys all had a good time. Caleb is really excited to have his own vest. Nathan thinks TNT will be "the most exciting thing". He was funny--there are some extra things you can do after each chapter, and so he made up his mind to do them. The first one is that you have to read a book about a missionary and tell your leader about them. He told me how he thought we didn't have any books like that, but then he thought about one of the books he's reading now, a Trailblazer book about Adoniram Judson--wouldn't that qualify, Mom? He told me it was quite a coincidence that I had gotten that book out of the library for him. I told him that I thought God had directed me to get that book without any of us knowing exactly why. He got real wide-eyed and said, "Well, yeah, I guess God COULD do that!" LOL!

Pilot Mom said...

Too funny, Claire! But, what a good learning lesson for Nathan!

Dy said...

Ooo ooo oooo!! Tell me, please, how does he like the Trailblazer books?? Our church has a whole pile of them for sale right now to support the missions trips (the long term ones - the good ones - not the strange lady going off to cause trouble for the gypsies). I'd contemplated picking one up - but I didn't know which one, or if James would even enjoy them. And nobody I know a) has boys this age, and also b) has boys who've read them! Share, please??

I'm glad it was such a great start, and hope to hear all about their adventures and new lessons as the year progresses.

Dy