Friday, September 30, 2005

Queen of the Realm, Mistress of the Mailbox

So I went out this afternoon to check the mail. I was also talking to Bob on my cell, but we hung up as I got out there. As I was getting the mail, a neighbor I haven't met yet came up our street walking her 2 labs. She waved and came over to talk.

Neighbor: "Hi, I'm Jean, and you must be a queen or princess or something."

Yes, I was wearing a little plastic tiara left over from our medieval party. Caleb likes to put it on me, reminding me that I am the queen, and He is King Arthur. It's so light that I frequently completely forget it is there, until I catch a glance at myself in the bathroom mirror. I didn't go potty before checking the mail however, so I feel like a complete dork.

Me: "Ha, ha, yes, my son likes me to wear this, ha, ha . . ."

Jean turns out to be quite talkative, so we chat for a few minutes. She brings up that she walks with another neighbor, Tracy, who I do know, and Tracy has told her that I homeschool. She asks, "How is that working out for you?" in a serious, concerned voice. I tell her that things are just fine, we're really enjoying it, blah, blah. She tells me that her step-daughter was homeschooled all the way through high school, and the only thing she (Jean) really worried about was the socialization issue. I didn't really say anything about that, but it certainly isn't my big concern. Anyhow, she went on to reassure me that the girl WAS able to get into college, although she had wanted to go to Virginia Tech, in their architecture program, but she only got accepted into Penn State's program. But she kept saying that she wasn't saying that to discourage me! LOL! I told her we hadn't thought that far ahead yet.

After she left, I realized that she will probably go tell Tracy that I certainly am one of those stereotypical nutty homeschoolers, one who goes around thinking she's the queen! Maybe she was worried about MY socialization! LOL!

In other mail-related news, we got the waiver letter today. And in it, they have picked my doctor for me and sent a letter to him. How nice. No, it was not who I picked. Grrr. So now we will have to call Tricare on Monday (after calling my choice of doctor to make sure she is still accepting Tricare patients and has room for me) to see if they will change. Then Tricare will have to send out more letters. I'm just so tired of this hassle!!! How utterly bureaucratic. How utterly frustrating that they would just assign me a civilian doctor too! I should definitely not be surprised, but I am tired of it. I will wave my royal scepter and send them all away. . .

No comments: