Monday, September 19, 2005

Weird Thing That Relaxes Claire #1,255

I've been thinking about things that bring me joy and relax me lately, after reading a discussion about that on the Well-Trained Mind boards. Most of my things involve me being by myself in a quiet place--reading, doing a crossword puzzle, doing a jigsaw puzzle, (taking a nap while pregnant), etc. Last night I thought of another one--arranging books on bookshelves. I LOVE arranging books. I get happy just thinking about it! When we got the 3 new double bookshelves in our study and the one on our family room, I was in heaven! I've been thinking for awhile of moving a shorter bookcase that was in our living room up to the hallways upstairs so there would be a better place for books upstairs than the small bookshelf in the corner of Nathan and Luke's room. So last night Bob and I moved it up, and I got to spend a very happy hour deciding what books to put on it and organizing them on the shelves--ahh, what joy!

One time, back in Colorado when we just had Nathan, I went over and watched the L's 3 children while Elizabeth had Amanda. Wow, it is so weird to think of that because I was watching a total of 4 kids that day, and it seemed like so many, although they were all great and very well-behaved! LOL! Anyway, back to the story--the L's had just moved into their house about a month before, so they had a whole ton of books just stacked up randomly on this really long ledge in their basement that they had not yet gotten around to doing anything with. Since everyone played so well, I was able to organzine the books by categories, stacking and ordering them in nice arrangements. It was so fun!

Bob said I should be a librarian, but that's not really it either--I don't like just simply organizing by alphabetical order by the Dewey Decimal system. I like the books to LOOK nice and ordered too. Unfortunately, there is not a market for this kind of skill, so I will not be able to make my fortune with my "hobby"! I guess this means I will have to continue buying books for us so I can just relax by arranging our own books. LOL!

4 comments:

witw said...

I'm pretty sure that both Mel and I will sign up for you to arrange any of our bookcases when you come out visit!

Bob and Claire said...

Hey, it's a deal! I can't wait! (Well, I'm also eager to see you all and your house!)

Pilot Mom said...

I just finished doing our shelves not too long ago. My problem is I need some more bookshelves!

Um...you've been tagged at my place! :)

Dy said...

It is such a good feeling to take a bookshelf and give it attention. Category first, then asthetics... and it always looks so nice. Want to really wow yourself? Take before and after photos! The change is the difference between night and day.

Dy