Thursday, June 15, 2006

Happy, happy baby

Today we went to the commissary. It was my first time to take all the kids, and I was quite unsure of how Anna would do, since I knew it would take at least 3 hours. The trip started inauspiciously enough when the gate guard told me my car sticker had expired. We had to pull off and do the whole "car search" thing--open the hood, all the doors, etc. At least I didn't have to take out all the books and toys. We'd have been there all day, LOL! So anyhow, we passed the inspection. I guess a harried mom of 5 kids, several of whom are asking, "Are we there? Can we get out now, Mom?" just doesn't pose that big of a threat, bomb-wise. Whew. Now poor Bob has to figure out when he can take the van to Bolling AFB.

At the commissary, I decided to have Nathan push Anna in her stroller while I took the two carts, and if I might be permitted to brag just a bit, she did so well! The whole time we were in there! I had more trouble with Jonathan, LOL! She is such a happy baby, thank the Lord. She didn't start getting annoyed until we were in the car heading home and traffic was very slow and heavy on I-66. Was it an accident? A police car at the very least? No--2 men were fixing a highway sign on the side of the road. Grrr. I was annoyed too. The trip clocked in at 3 1/2 hours, all together, so she showed remarkable patience! I'm glad I won't have to do that again for another 6 weeks or so.

And just for you, Aunt Claire, one woman specifically asked if we were done, now that we had our girl, and at least 3 others intimated that I should be so relieved that I finally got a girl. Ahh, the rudeness of complete strangers in front of 4 boys! We did get several nice comments, however, which always make me feel so good.

I was pretty pooped out when we got home. The boys helped me unload and starting putting stuff away while I nursed, but I never got around to finishing. Instead, I ate a vast quantity of Harvest Cheddar Sun Chips and took a nap. Hmm, wasn't I supposed to be going dairy-free? Oh well, desperate times and all that. I ate some M&Ms that I found open in the pantry too. Might as well really enjoy myself, LOL! Nothing like chocolate to help me recover from a tiring day!

6 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

Well, I have to agree with the chocolate! Nothing quite does it, right? :)

All I have to say about those strangers is, "The nerve of them!" I'm really aghast, Claire, that they would be so...so...so RUDE!!!!

I'm still recovering from your mom leaving *tear* It was wonderful to have her and you and Anna Claire all here at the same time! Thanks again to Bob and your Dad! They are the greatest! :)

Dy said...

You know, I tried to launch into a full-out kindness attack at the people who make comments like that. But it happens every single time we're out, and I haven't the energy to keep up with that. So I've taken to staring blankly and asking in my best "but I don't get it" tone, "Why?"

And I've found myself telling people that we're not done, not by a long shot. Just because I cannot fathom HOW anyone could stand there, in front of my wonderful boys, and treat them like they were the unsuccessful attempts at having a girl! GAHHHH! So, I don't know if we're "done" or not, but as far as these rude strangers go, we plan to repopulate the entire South! WOOHOO!

I'm so proud of little Anna - what a little trooper. I'm sure having The Brothers near at hand helps. At least it does, here. They're on the ready with a song and dance routine at the mere hint of boredom or irritability on Miss Emily's behalf. It's too cute.

What did I miss? Why are you going dairy-free?

Dy

Unknown said...

Yeah. People just don't think.

You know I hate looky-loo's. I mean I really despise them. If you want a prime example of the ripple effect...your's was it. If they ever invent invisibleness...I think it should be mandatory on the highway. *snort*
Pam

Bob and Claire said...

"And I've found myself telling people that we're not done, not by a long shot. Just because I cannot fathom HOW anyone could stand there, in front of my wonderful boys, and treat them like they were the unsuccessful attempts at having a girl!"

Yep, that is exactly what I think! I've told Bob that I really want to have at least one more, just so people can't say that--not that even that would stop them, LOL! I always try to say something like "Well, we weren't TRYING for a girl--she was a pretty big surprise", etc., but I still feel bad for the boys!

As for the dairy-free thing, Anna has had really bad zits/complexion issues. I think it was while you were on vacation that I stopped all dairy, since Caleb has dairy allergies, and I thought it might help. Her face really cleared up, although her scalp is still somewhat scaly. I also started rubbing flaxseed and evening primrose oil on her tummy each night, which helped with Caleb's skin issues and allergies. Since I started doing that, I have had some dairy (like in Utah), and she has not broken out like she used to. Today though (after all the chips and M&Ms, LOL), she is pretty red again. Back to dairy-free, I guess! On the plus side, I've been losing weight, since I'm (usually) not snacking on junk.

witw said...

I don't think people intentionally mean to be rude. It takes a special person to have a lot of childern. They probably admire that you can handle five childern.

Bob and Claire said...

No, I don't think they mean to be rude either. I'm sure they are just making conversation! But if they would just stop and thing about what they are really saying--"You were glad to have a boy, and then you must have wanted a girl, so the other 3 boys are terrible disappointments. But now--FINALLY--you got your girl! So you can stop having kids." That is so far from the truth of why we keep having kids though. We weren't trying for a girl ever! I know we get alot of attention because, well, we do sort of look like a circus coming down the aisle, LOL, but I don't want the boys to really become self-conscious because people are always making a huge deal of the fact that we now have a girl. I think people jssut assume that 4 boys must mean our house is like a zoo, with 4 "Dennis the Menace" type boys running around, but it's not like that (well, most of the time, LOL), and I really enjoy all the boys so much. The people who say things like "What a beautiful family!" make me want to hug them! : )