Friday, June 02, 2006

The Lone Ranger's gun cake


Here is the cake I made for Jonathan's birthday at his request. Hopefully you all can tell that it is a pistol such as the Lone Ranger himself would have carried. It turned out pretty darn well, if I do say so myself. I was really not looking forward to making it today, since I'm still not feeling all that well, but then Amy called this afternoon, and we had a nice, long chat. While we were talking, I cut out the cake design and slapped the frosting on! Voila! Jonathan was pretty excited about it, which always makes me feel good.

We ate the cake after dinner, and now the boys, for a very special treat, are watching Star Wars. Nathan and Luke have been wanting to watch this for oh, about forever, so tonight is the night. LOL, anything to get them off their Bionicle kick, right? Actually, I think this will just be one more thing for them to obsess over. I'm sure tomorrow will be spent fighting with imaginary light sabers. You will notice that I am upstairs ont he computer instead of downstairs watching the movie. That is because I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies, I have no particular desire to ever do so, and since I've made it 33 years without watching them, why break my record now? I'm probably one of about 10 people on the planet my age who can say that!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice job Claire.

I'm not sure I understand why you don't want to watch Star Wars. I mean...there isn't anything in there that I can think of that you would find objectionable and Harrison Ford isn't too hard on the eyes. Chewbaca is cute. R2D2 is amusing in a British, snobby sort of way. Princess Leia is sarcastic but independent.
You don't know what you are missing. Let the story take you away. It's an old fashioned kinda story.

I know that all sounded kinda pissy. But...what are friends for?
Love ya you anti-Lucas person you... ;0]
Pam

Pilot Mom said...

I bet it's the Sci-Fi part of it all, right? ;)

Hey, Pilot says he will be the last person to have never seen the movie Titanic. I do believe he will make it! :)

Bob and Claire said...

LOL, he and I will, you mean--I've never seen Titanic either!

Pam, I don't have any real objection to Star Wars (the original ones, anywyas). I just am totally not a movie person, and I would so much rather read in silence to relax. Watching a movie, to me, is one more "duty" thing I have to do. I do know the plotline and story for Star Wars, since I always like to be able to carry my own in discussions about movies, even if I have never seen them! Maybe when all the kids are gone--I'll schedule an afternoon and watch the movies. LOL--or probably just pick up a nice book instead! : )

Unknown said...

Well, I knew that was kinda a pissy comment. I've never seen the whole of Titanic. I watched parts of it but it was just boring so I guess I should just "shut ma mouth" (said with an exaggerated southern accent)
I think when it came out (Star Wars)...which I totally remember, the special effects were bar none. The story was old fashioned so the combo of the two captivated people. Plus, it had been many years since anything like that had come out, again, that was that well made.

I have been so caught up in a movie I actually will have to reorient myself to who I am and where I am, when I walk out of the theater. I have to remind myself it was a movie. Those people don't exist and it didn't really happen. Sometimes I have to do that with a book but, it's different.

So...what movie would you consider the best movie you have ever seen and would watch again? Just wondering.
Pam

Bob and Claire said...

My favorite movie is actually a pretty easy thing for me to come up with, since I really have seen so few. It's definitely "Pride and Prejudice", the 6 hour BBC version. I've watched it several times, and I love it so much because it is like the book! I hate it when moviemakers take a great book, change it around, and make it into a mediocre movie.