Monday, July 17, 2006

Happy Anniversary to Us!

Today marks 13 years since Bob and I were married at Chapel 2, back at Wright-Patterson AFB. When I read about the average wedding today costing $28,000, I have to laugh--ours was certainly nowhere near that! We did things on a shoestring, but it all turned out well. Many, many people helped, such as Aunt Claire , who flew out a few weeks ahead of time. Other people were our friends Tim and Amy, who we are again stationed with here in Northern Virginia. A friend of ours at church was astonished to find out that Amy knew us before we had been married! I told her that the military Christian world was a small one! Tim was a saber-bearer, and Amy helped make food for the reception. Ed L. videotaped the whole thing, and his son Anthony was the ring-bearer. Now he's at the Air Force Academy. Where does the time go?!

When I look back at pictures from that day, I remember how much I felt that I was in a play--I was all dressed up, playing a role. It felt so unreal! And when I look at Bob, I think, "I hardly even knew the man! How could I make these vows?!!" And while it's true that now I know him much better, I did know back then the essential parts of his character--he is an honorable, faithful man of integrity who loves the Lord and me and is committed to both. So although we've had rough patches, our marriage has survived and grown. This past year was hard, as we are facing the transition of retiring from the Air Force, and we aren't completely sure what the Lord has for us. I can say right now, however, that I feel we are once again at least facing in the same direction, on the same page! We will see what next year holds, glad that we're holding each other through it!

4 comments:

witw said...

Happy anniversary!!! How long did you guys date before you guys tied the knot?

Bob and Claire said...

Well, we were friends (both of us dating other people fairly seriously) for a year, and then we dated for a year before we got married. During hte year we weren't dating, we tuaght SUnday School and Children's Church together, so we really did get to know each other pretty well without the stresses of a dating relationship. I dismissed him as much too old, and he dismissed me as much too young! : )

Pilot Mom said...

Happy happy happy Anniversary!

It was a wonderful, fun filled 6 weeks before the wedding for James and I! That's when all those funny times happeded and your Mom and I just laughed and laughed!!!

Dy said...

Happiest of Anniversaries! It's amazing what a gift marriage is, and how much we cherish it when we look back on all the blessings it bring into our lives.

Wishing you another fantastic year together, and many, many more to come!

Dy