Monday, July 24, 2006

More excitement . . .

. . . this time involving a toilet, so you know it was not the GOOD kind of excitement! We have a water damage spot on our ceiling over our island from a small leak that was in the toilet in Nathan and Luke's bathroom. Bob fixed it awhile back, and the spot has never changed. Until this morning, that is. When Bob went downstairs to leave for work, he noticed that the paint was sort of bubbling on the spot, so he headed up to look at the bathroom. The floor around the toilet was wet, so he hollered at me to put a towel down, and he would look at it after work (he had training today). I put the towel down and didn't think much more about it until lunchtime, when all of a sudden there was a cascading stream of water from out of the recessed light above the island. YUK! I grabbed a dirty cereal bowl from the counter, then a can from under the sink to catch the water, which was splattering all over the kitchen. I ran out and hunted up a bucket in the garage, and then I ran back upstairs to see what had happened. The towel was sopping wet, but no one had flushed or anything. I couldn't even call Bob to get his advice, since he was gone in training all day! Fortunately he called not long after that to see how my day was going--"not so good anymore"--and he told me to turn off the toilet (why didn't I think of that right away?!) and flush to get the water out of the tank. I did, and the deluge petered down to a dribble, then a drip, and then finally away to nothing at all. The leak is at the place where the metal tube thing (I don't want to get all technical on you, LOL) comes into the tank. Hopefully he can just replace that, but the ceiling will have to be addressed as well. So! How exciting! Another plumbing project! Maybe the Lord is pushing Bob to consider becoming a plumber after retirement, LOL! In the meantime, the toilet is just off. That is one of the benefits of having 3 bathrooms upstairs--there is no lack of toilets, even with one down!

1 comment:

Dy said...

Oh. My.

Our Wonderful Neighbors had just that thing happen. Come to find out the tub overflow was never physically attached to the drain pipe when the house was built. So it took a while, but eventually the whole thing came apart.

As plumbing goes, though, it should be relatively easy to repair. Let us know how it goes!

Dy