Tuesday, August 14, 2007

High School Memories

I didn't mention this in my last post, but Johanna and I went to the same high school, good old Dayton Christian. In fact, we had many classes together, and we also ran track together! Seeing her always reminds me of high school (in a good way, LOL!), and so when I saw that Dy had these high school questions on her blog, I decided to steal them.


1. Who was your best friend? My best friend was, and still is, Amy. We carpooled together from Xenia, we cheered together, and we were super-duper lab partners. And then we went on to be roommates (and lab partners) at Cedarville! People warned us not to room with a best friend. We both thought about it, and then promptly paid no more attention to those people! It worked out great! We knew we were wired the same way and would have no troubles getting along. Still haven't! I can't wait to see her again on Monday!!

2. Did you play any sports? I was a varsity cheerleader, and I also ran track.

3. What kind of car did you drive? 198o-something VW diesel Rabbit whose name was Wally. He was loud car, but he was faithful. He reached about 250,000 miles, thanks to my dad's mechanical skills, before finally being put out to pasture. People could hear me coming from blocks away, and many people could run as fast as he would go!

4. It’s Friday night. Where were you? Bible study, I guess. I can't really remember. Obviously nowhere too exciting. I think my high school boyfriend, Craig, and I would go out some on Fridays.

5. Were you a party animal? Not in the slightest.

6. Were you considered a flirt? No, not that either, LOL. I was the girl who wrecked the grade curve, although I did defy stereotype by also being a cheerleader. But I was not really a flirt.

7. Were you in the band, orchestra or choir? Yes, I played first section clarinet since 5th grade.

8. Were you a nerd? Sure.

9. Were you ever suspended or expelled? No. In fact, I never even had detention. I never even used up all my allotted tardies each quarter. I think the number was 3, which for the longest time I thought meant total, instead of per class. I never even got 3 total. It wasn't until I started having kids that I began running late all the time!

10. Can you sing the fight song? I don't think we had one. Or if we did, I didn't know it, LOL.

11. Who was your favorite teacher? Probably Mr. Minor, my chemistry/physics teacher. He was such a godly and nice man. I also liked my math teachers, Mrs. Bragg and Mrs. Brandt.

12. What was your school mascot? The Crusader, although I read that it changed a few years ago.

13. Did you go to the Prom? Yes, although it was called "Junior/Senior" and it did not involve dancing (because a lot of denominations thought dancing was sinful, so there just wasn't any).

14. If you could go back, would you? Well, in some ways it is tempting because I would like to correct a lot of doofy things I did and said. But I am quite glad to have gotten through it, and I know the Lord used all the experiences I had to make me who I am now. And I like me now a lot better than the high school me!

15. What do you remember most about graduation? I had to give a speech because I was "total person" award winner. This is taken from Luke 2:52, where Jesus grew in "wisdom, stature, and favor with God and man", so the idea was someone who was well-rounded. I detest giving speeches, and I was quite nervous.

16. Where were you on Senior Skip Day? Did we even have one? I'm not remembering anything, so if we did, I didn't participate.

17. Did you have a job your senior year? No.

18. Where did you go most often for lunch? The cafeteria. We weren't allowed to go anywhere else. DC was downtown, in a sort of rougher neighborhood.

19. Have you gained weight since then? LOL, yes. 10 pounds over the next 6 years, and then 10 more pounds stuck after I had Jonathan. (Grrrr) And right now is not really a good time to ask this, since I am still dealing with 15 (gasp) pounds left over from Grace. Those WILL go away, however *threatening look at belly*.

20. What did you do after graduation? Went off to Cedarville. Actually, I met Bob within a few days of graduation from high school. He had just gotten stationed at Wright-Pat to get his master's degree. He was dating someone seriously from his last assignment, and I started dating a lieutenant in our singles OCF Bible study that summer. Neither of us was remotely interested in each other!

21. What year did you graduate? 1991

22. Who was your Senior Prom Date? Justin . . . someone. Hmmm, his name will come to me. He was short, a junior, and he ended up marrying Katrina N. in our class. A funny guy though, and a good friend, especially after Craig and I broke up (Craig is who I went to Jr/Sr with my junior year).

23. Are you going/did you go to your 10 year reunion? I did; in fact, Amy and I planned it. It was fun! Of course, we were stationed in Ohio back then. I'll probably try to go to our 20th too.

1 comment:

Johanna said...

Yes, you did destroy the bell curve you rotten rotten person you.
I thought about that old VW rabbit of yours when they came out with the new rabbit, and then again when you donated your truck the other day. LOL
You sure were a good clarinet player. I think your skill at playing is what convinced me after 8th grade tha I had no business playing in the band anymore. HAHA
Definitely not a flirt or party animal ( did we have those at Dayton Christian??)but I wouldnt have considered you a nerd either.
I don't believe we had a fight song -- but how tragic if we did and a cheerleader can't even remember.
I don't think we had a senior skip day -- Didn't we have some sort of senior picnic after one of the graduation rehearsals instead??

Craig -- hmmmm

So, who is planning our 20th?