Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Not Giving In

Last night my ladies' Bible study had dinner out. We went to a new Italian restaurant and had a great time. As we were getting up to leave about 9:00, my phone rang. It was Bob, saying that Grace was absolutely refusing to take her bottle. Grrrrrrrrrr. She was taking a bottle just fine for the first 2 months. Three weeks ago was the last time I was at Bible study, and she also refused it then. My mom was here, and she tried it first. Then Bob took over, with the same results. NOOOOOO! I can not have a baby who refuses the bottle! I've never had one before, and I don't want one now!

After school today we went to Walmart. I bought some silicone nipples. I have a feeling that is just a desperate attempt, but who knows, maybe her discriminating palate will accept these new nipples, as opposed to those common latex nipples every other child in my family has been happy to suck.

You know, I used to worry that someone would reject the bottle, because I've certainly heard of it happening to others. But when even Luke, who was a more particular baby, had no troubles with it, I relaxed and figured we just skipped out on that problem. Allergies--yes; fake nipple rejection--no.

But I am not giving up. Now, somewhere in my schedule, I just have to carve out a time every day to fight with a crying baby by giving her a bottle even though she clearly doesn't want it and it is tons faster to just nurse. Easy! I really don't want to give up though. I hate the trapped feeling that I can never be gone for a feeding. That Bob can never put all the kids down and I come home to a quiet house. That I have to accomplish anything I need to do by myself, away from the house, in a 2 1/2 hour window.

Off to sterilize the new nipples . . .

3 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

Oh no! You just keep persevering! Grace doesn't understand whose will is stronger and mightier but soon she will. ;)

wncarpenter26 said...

One of the kids I take care had the same problem and the only bottle he will take is made by Dr. Brown's...http://www.handi-craft.com/ I think you can buy them at Wal-Mart.

Wendy

Johanna said...

The only bottle Caden would ever take was the AVENT bottles.
Good luck.