Friday, March 03, 2006

Doctor's Appointment

I had a doctor's appointment this morning. I was 36 weeks on Tuesday, so it's getting closer, and now I have to go back every week. Bleh. It's hard to get excited about something that messes up our routine so much (as well as the routine of whoever is watching the boys for me!), and is so anticlimactic. I mean, what are they really going to be able to tell me each week?! "Hey--your baby is moving, and you are measuring just fine!" That's pretty much what she said today, although she did confirm that the head is down. She checked my cervix for some reason, and I am proud to be 2-3 cm dilated, 20% effaced, and soft. Of course, since this is #5, I've probably been that way for the past 2 months! The doctor is concerned because my last 2 babies were 9# 5 oz and 9# 6 oz respectively, so she definitely doesn't want me to go past my due date (sorry, Mel--I think an April Fool's birthday buddy for you would be great, but oh well!). In fact, she wants to schedule an induction right around my due date (March 28) in case I haven't gone into labor by then. Of course, I am less than enthused about that, so hopefully it won't happen. I'm going to "push" (ha, ha, what a punny) for no earlier than my due date, if an induction has to be scheduled. I mean, I haven't had any trouble at all pushing out my big babies, and it didn't take very long--maybe 30 minutes or so for them. Nothing got stuck, and I didn't tear or anything, so I am not concerned. The doctor wants me to have another ultrasound, this time at an actual radiology place instead of at her office. This is scheduled for March 14 at 2:00. I have never heard any stories about ultrasounds at the end being accurate for weight estimates, but I have heard plenty about how they are totally off! So I am not holding much to whatever estimate comes out of the ultrasound, and hopefully it will not err on the side of estimating too big, pushing the doctor towards inducing me earlier. We'll see what happens. . . This is where I start to really wish I had a midwife!

1 comment:

witw said...

April 1st is only a couple days away. You were 2 weeks over due last time. You have a proven pelvis for large babies. Sounds like your doctor is being on the safe side. Mel