Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Ultrasound

Today I had the ultrasound that was supposed to determine whether or not this baby is big. Well, the whole thing took forever, and I really don't think there was any useful information gained whatsoever.

The ultrasound was done at an actual radiology place, not at the doctor's office. I parked in a 2 hour visitor parking spot, thinking that would be way too long, but as it turned out, I was there for only about 10 minutes shy of 2 hours! After my name was called, I had to go back to a little changing room, take off everything except my bra and shoes, put on one of those lovely paper gowns that fasten up the front, and then sit in another waiting room with other people similarly attired. At least we all looked similarily awkward, as we clutched our gowns together, trying not to have them gape. (And let me tell you, it is not easy to keep those gowns closed over a 38 week pregnant tummy!) Humiliating.

Finally I was called back to the room with the ultrasound machine, where I had to wait for the person to do the scan. She finally came and was very nice. I have a renewed respect for ultrasound technicians who can make sense of what they are seeing! I thought it was hard on a 20 week baby, but I could hardly make anything at all out on one as big as mine! The baby was not cooperative at all. She (?) wiggled around the whole time, but she had her knees firmly clutched together and so we never could see her crotch at all. So no confirmation at all on the whole girl thing. Oh well. I'm still debating as to whether I will actually wash all those new girl clothes I got from the shower before I have the baby. Hmmm.

The tech did measure all the things she needed to measure, and the weight estimate came up as 7 pounds 10 ounces . . . give or take 18 ounces. That's over a pound leeway both ways! How helpful can that really be?! So I am sure that the doctor will see that as really big and pressure me into an induction, which I don't want. Must. Practice. Saying. "No, thank you". In a polite, firm voice. *Sigh* Actually, the whole thing was discouraging. Obviously this baby is not tiny, and even if I don't have any problems, it's still not fun pushing out babies over 9 pounds. I guess I am praying that I will go into labor naturally fairly soon, but I don't really have much hope of that happening. It seems that going early is a Colorado thing for me, as is having smaller babies.

After the technician did the scan, I had to wait a (long) while longer for a doctor to come and check everything out. She basically did another scan (baby still very modest), and she said everything was "well within the realms of normal, size-wise." She did say that I have a lot of amniotic fluid. That level was still "normal", but just on the higher side of normal. I had a lot with Jonathan too. The baby's head is down, and everything looks good. The measurements were just a little bigger than my estimated due date. I am technically 38 weeks today, but the baby measured 38 weeks, 4 days. That's not too far off though--it doesn't change anything.

So there you have it--no new information, just more possibilites to worry about. And the looming thought of having to be induced, where you spend the whole day lolling around uncomfortably in bed while nurses try to keep the stupid heart rate monitor on the baby, who gleefully moves around all the time, making it beep. And where going to the bathroom is something to look forward to, since you can be disconnected from all that junk, even though it is a total hassle to drag the stupid IV thing around. Grrrr. I would so much rather spend the first while at home, free and comfortable, only showing up when I'm almost in transition, where I don't care if I have to be in bed.

2 comments:

Dy said...

It's easy to do, and make sure Bob practices, too. "No, thank you. *smile* No, thank you. *smile*"

{{hugs}}

I am so stinkin' excited for you, though! What a blessing a new one is. And in case you'd forgotten, or are suffering from that lovely third-trimester insomnia - SLEEP NOW, WHILE YOU CAN!! :-)

Dy

Unknown said...

big sigh....medical types can be such a pain can't they!

Love you and partially holding my breath here!!