Sunday, April 09, 2006

Open House

Wow, I am so pooped right now. There are a lot of families in the greater D.C. area that we have been stationed with before, or that have been at Wright-Pat and know my parents. This afternoon we had an open house for all those people. It was so much fun to see all these old friends again, a real Wright-Pat reunion! Mom and I have been especially busy the past few days cleaning and cooking. I was worried before it that no one would come. In fact, I never wanted to have an open house, like for my high school graduation, because that was always my fear. And then yesterday afternoon, right after Mom brought Dad home from the airport, and as I was in the middle of making a big pan of fudge, the doorbell rang. It was one of our old friends, along with one of her kids. I was surprised to see her, but I quickly figured out that she thought the open house was yesterday! Ack! She told me I looked great, which made me laugh inside, since I was wearing a ratty t-shirt and sweats, which were covered in flour, chocolate, etc., since I had been baking desserts all day! Bob and Nathan were at Home Depot, which was a little awkward too. When they came in, Bob asked brightly, "So what brings you out this way?", and she answered, "Why, your open house!" I really hope she goes back and looks at her email, just so that she can see that we aren't really ditsy and totally unprepared for major social events that we host! Anyhow, that whole thing made me anxious about the real thing today--not a good omen! But not to worry. People did show up, and we had such a great time with everyone. The kids all played well together (and there were a lot of them), and there was lots of laughter in the family room and around the table as we told stories and caught up! I wish they all lived closer--in one big neighborhood! Again it makes me look forward to heaven, where I know we who know Christ will have eternity to spend together, laughing and catching up, all in the presence of Christ, where there will be no more tears and sorrow! The Christian military community is such a great group of people. We did have plenty of left-over food, so Mom and I are looking forward to some days of left-overs while we enjoy our clean house. Well, the clean house will probably only last a few hours, but still . . . it was nice while it lasted!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Clean house, family and food. What more could you ask for I ask you?