Monday, April 17, 2006

Spring Break is Over

We had a glorious Easter. The weather was nice, especially in the morning, so it was easy to visualize being at the tomb, seeing the stone rolled away, and, best of all, seeing the risen Savior! We went to church in the morning and then we had our big meal at our regular dinner time--I'm just not organized enough to get everything in before church to eat right afterwards! After dinner we finished going through our Resurrection Eggs with the boys. I really like these. Each egg has a token from the Easter story (like a piece of linen, a donkey, a wine cup, etc.), and as you open each egg, you read the corresponding Scripture reference and the short reading in the little booklet that comes with the eggs. Easter was a lot more meaningful this year because Nathan really asked some good questions about it. Yesterday he wanted to know how people in the Old Testament were saved, before Jesus came. We had a good discussion about faith using Abraham as an example. Friday night, while reading our bedtime Bible story, we had a good discussion about the Old Testament system of sacrifice, and how Jesus fulfilled all of that completely. I love being a part of seeing children work out their faith and gain a deeper understanding of who Christ is and what He did for them! Along the same lines, Nathan and Luke started watching the Narnia DVD last night. As Nathan said, it's a perfect thing to watch for Easter! They didn't get that far before it was time for bed, but Nathan is looking forward to watching more tonight. I'm not sure if Luke will watch it all. He's more like me--not a fan of scary things that you see. I would much rather read the book, where I can control the images better in my mind, than see a movie, where someone has already put their own images there, ready to go straight to my brain!

We also celebrated Grandpa's birthday last night with coffee cake (and rice krispie treats for Caleb). It's ironic that coffee cake was what Caleb first reacted to as a baby! I think it was Dad's birthday then too, and we were over for cake. Caleb would have been about 6 months old. After I ate my piece, Caleb chewed on my fork and promptly broke out in hives all over his face. The cake has walnuts on it and milk in it, and Caleb has turned out to be allergic to both of those. Anyways, Dad left this morning for his trip to China, and he'll be over there for his actual birthday, so we celebrated early.

Today it has been back to the old grind, however. The boys did some of their standardized test review book, we reviewed Latin, and I finally installed Typing Instructor on our computer so the boys spent a goodly amount of time doing that. In fact, I think I might start doing some of the lessons! It looked fun and easy, and I am not a good typist at all. I told the boys to aspire to their Uncle Dan's and Aunt Claire's skill level of typing, NOT their mother's! And of course I did laundry. I will confess that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at the amount of laundry that we are generating. I feel like I can barely keep up with the regular loads of darks and whites, and the "other" loads (towels, sheets, delicates, etc.) keep getting pushed back. At least we're heading into summer, where shorts and t-shirts don't take up nearly the amount of washer space that seatshirts and jeans do!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

The Resurrection Eggs sound very intriguing. I like that tradition. Has Nathan accepted Jesus yet? I remember you posted awhile back about Luke but I don't recall you saying Nathan had, and I HAVE read all your blogs :0o

Narnia was wonderful. It turned out much better than the scenes I saw in a teaser about he making of it.
Oh, I saw the most precious dress for Anna Claire today. I think I just might have to go back and get it and send itin the mail. How much longer do you think she will be in the 0-6mos range or should I go up a bit?
Love to all, Pam

witw said...

Indeed, I am a big proponent of learning typing and improving skilfulness at it. I always say typing was the most useful class I ever took. How many classes can you truly say that you use every day of your life, and in my case for about 10 hours a day? It came in doubly handy when I made that same pronouncement about typing's usefulness to my future mother-in-law, who turned out to have taught typing in school for years. There's some bonus points!

Pilot Mom said...

Ha ha...bonus points! That's a match made in heaven! ;D

Sounds like a wonderful Easter!

Hugs and kisses to all the kids...*sigh* HUGE grin*, not just 'the boys' anymore!!!! :D

Bob and Claire said...

Pam, I would say that Anna is getting ready to move into the 3-6 month clothes in another few weeks. I would guess that she'll be in 6-9 month clothes for fall--maybe October timeframe. Of course, LOL, maybe she'll grow completely differently than the boys! : ) But that's my best guess.

Nathan has accepted Christ as his savior, back when we were in Ohio. It was actually on Amy's birthday (Nov. 19), after we read our bedtime Bible story. So I'll never forget the date! : )

Bob and Claire said...

LOL about typing class--Amy and I took typing in J-term our junior year. That was a mistake. I needed to be able to go home each night for many nights to practice and become proficient. I managed to get an A, so my GPA wasn't ruined, but it was close! I always seemed to get stuck with the crazy typewriter, where, when you hit the "return" key, it would just turn over and over and over, spitting my paper onto the floor. Of course, I wasn't looking at that, so when it would be time to stop typing, I would have nothing to show for it! Humiliating. SO now maybe I can improve my skills in the privacy of my own home, with no fear of a bad grade! : )

Unknown said...

That is awesome! Nathan is getting so big! I know he doesn't really remember me and of course the other boys have no clue. So sad for me!
I will get that dress for her, even if she wears it once and you take her picture in it I will be happy! So silly I am.

Unknown said...

I too have to say that typing class was the most useful class I ever took! And believe it or not...I do use algebra almost once a week when I go shopping!

Bob and Claire said...

Oh, Nathan definitely remembers you all! Luke does too, although his "memories" are probably more from pictures and discussions than actual recollections. You are actually mentioned a lot around here, especially regarding the cowboy outfit you got Nathan when he was 3. Jonathan LOVES that gun belt and vest and would wear them all the time if I let him (I make him take them off for meals, LOL). So even he and Caleb know that it all came from Mr. and Mrs. B!

Unknown said...

Oh My! That is amazing! I will have to remember to bring up the cowboy outfit when I see them next!