Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Well-Baby Update

Anna had her 2 week well-baby appointment today. Bob took yesterday and today off, so he went with me while the other boys stayed with Grandma and Grandpa--a date! Anna is now 9 pounds 5 ounces, up from her birthweight of 8 pounds 11 ounces. That is exactly what Caleb weighed at birth! She's now 22 inches long, up from the 20.5 inches she was at birth. So she is growing just fine. We saw a doctor I have never seen before. He was very nice. I'm not sure where he is from--maybe Greece or somewhere like that? Definitely not a native English speaker, although I think that is a prerequisite to work at that clinic! He was funny--he knew Anna was a girl, and referred to her as "Beautiful girl" and other expressions like that, but everytime he referred to her with a pronoun, he used male pronouns--JUST LIKE JONATHAN! I laughed in the car, but I managed to hold it in in the clinic. The doctor was very concerned because I didn't bring along records from her birth (which the hospital never gave me). I couldn't tell him her Apgar score, and he had a hard time moving past that.

Doctor: You can't remember [his] Apgar score?

Me: Umm, no. I never really heard it. They whisked her aside to make sure she didn't aspirate any meconium . . . I did hear them say she pinked up really nicely, so I'm sure it was fine . . . maybe an 8 or 9?

Doctor: Can you remember what [his] Apgar score was?

LOL! He was also like that with the question of how many total hours she sleeps, day and night. I have never added it all up, so I kept hemming around, saying that she was doing really well, eating about every 3 hours during the day and going at least 4 hours once during the night, and she usually is up about an hour after feeding during the day . . . so how many hours is that? But he kept wanting a real number. Let me get out some paper. . . I never did answer.

I did call the hospital where I delivered, and tomorrow I plan on going there to sign the release form so they can send her records over to the clinic. So that should put his mind at ease--he can get her Apgar score straight from the records!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh, the things professionals focus on. *shakes head*
Did she get her present?

Bob and Claire said...

YES! Yesterday! I have already sent you a note. I loved everything!!

Dy said...

They hate me. I've just learned to accept that fact. With all four children I have had the exact same conversation:

"How often does the child nurse?"

Whenever he/she wants to.

"For how long?"

Um, till he's done.

"But how long is that?"

Well, usually till one of us falls asleep or I run out of milk... I don't know.

"How long does he go between nursings?"

*sigh* You do know you're not going to get a straight answer out of me, don't you? Shall I just make something up, or can we stop now?

It's like the pediatric version of Groundhog Day. I don't get it.

I'm glad she's plumping up nicely and is doing well. How are you enjoying this sweet baby girl? I have finally learned not to duck if she pees during a diaper change. Conditioned responses take a while, but they can be altered. WOOHOO! :-)

Dy