Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My Dreams

No, not my goals and ambitions. The vivid ones I have just about every night. Ree, over at Confessions of a Pioneer Woman, had a post the other day about her common dreams. Some people don't dream much, or at least don't remember their dreams. That is not me. I dream often, and in bright color. I usually remember at least some part of my dreams when I wake up. I also talk in my sleep. Amy has some pretty funny stories about when we roomed together in college. I slept on the top bunk, and one night she woke up feeling like someone was watching her. It was me, hanging over the edge of my bed with my hair dangling down. SHe asked me what was wrong, and I said, "My bear is fuzzier than yours." To prove my point, I hauled my stuffed polar bear over the edge to show her. She readily agreed with my crazy self, and, satisfied, I went back to bed.

I would also sleepwalk in college. Several times I would wake up to find myself standing by my desk, in the process of putting my robe on to go take a shower . . . at 4:00 in the morning, or whenever. Once Amy woke up too, and she asked me where I was going. Since I was now awake and realized that in fact, it was not time to wake up, I loftily said, "DON'T WORRY. I know what I'm doing." Then I went off to go potty, coming back to take my robe back off and put my pajamas back on. Yep, I had a plan and I KNEW what I was doing. LOL!

But back to dreams. One dream from college that I remember very vividly, and so does Amy, is one I had after a botany field trip where we walked around the campus identifying all the tree species. There was a big weeping willow in front of one of the buildings, and in my dream, I was trapped underneath it, and I couldn't get out, although I was wildly scratching at the branches and struggling with it. What I found out later was that I was actually scratching at the walls of our room, muttering things like, "Help! I can't get out!" Amy thought someone was up there raping me!

The most common dream that I dream is one where I have to fill in for someone on a cheerleading squad at a competition. They grab me out of the stands and try to teach me the routine in about a minute, and then we go on stage. Of course, I can remember nothing, and it seems like my arms and legs are in quicksand. I wake up very embarrassed and very relieved that I am no longer a cheerleader. I don't recall ever having this dream when I actually WAS a cheerleader, however!

I also frequently dream that it is exam day, and although I have known about the exam, I never attended any classes, and I never even opened the book. I wonder how I could have been so stupid and what was I doing all that time? I try to think of a good and valid excuse, but my brain is in a fog. You would think that having been out of college now for 11 years, that those dreams would die away, but no. My dad says that he still has dreams where he is at the Academy, out on the terazzo, in the wrong uniform or whatever, and he graduated in 1965, so I guess I am doomed to continue dreaming these college dreams!

I also have a lot of dreams where my depth perception is really off, but I have to go up or down stairs or be in some other high place. One time I remeber that I had to sit down on the stairs and scoot the whole way down. Of course, in my dream there never really was a bottom to the stairs, so I kept on scooting and being very scared. No wonder I wake up tired sometimes!

Two nights ago, I had a new dream, and it affected my mood the entire day! I dreamed I was back at college (I think I spend more time there in my dreams than when I actually attended, LOL!), and I had to find a campus job. Like it was some kind of requirement or something. So everyone lined up in the big gym-like building to see what the different jobs descriptions were. I read them all and realized that I wasn't qualified for ANY of them, not even the housekeeping ones. I kept trying to think what else I could put on my resume, but I just drew a blank. Some of the jobs seemed interesting, like being in charge of these different groups of girls, but it was obvious that a million people were more qualified than me, and there was no job for me. I woke up feeling so discouraged! Obviously there is some connection to my deep-seated feelings of inadequacy about being a stay-at-home-mom, LOL! Or maybe about the sad state of my housekeeping here, to think that I wasn't even qualified for those jobs! Well, we all cleaned bathrooms today, so maybe that dream will never return! Anyone else have any interesting or recurring dreams?

6 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

One of mine was after watching the Battle of the Bulge (WWII movie). There is this scene where they are underground (kind of like NORAD) with this huge THICK steal door. In the movie I remember them trying to close that door before something happened. What, I don't remember.

But I would dream that door was closing on me. And I was underground, no windows, small area, I'm sure you're getting the picture with my being claustrophobic. I have dreamed that dream over and over again. The first time, Dad woke me up, scaring me maybe more than my dream. However, the most embarrassing time to dream it was when I was visiting hubby's parents home for the first time (we were newly engaged). I slept in one of their guest rooms on a twin bed up against the wall. Well, I dreamed the dream and the door would not budge for me so I was screaming out in my sleep...actually, I was pushing on the wall but STILL!!! Of course, soon to be MIL comes running in to my rescue...but embarassed?! Oh my!

Unknown said...

Hmm, off the top of me head...I can't think of any but I used to have a reoccuring dream...had to do with high school. I had to go back and finish my high school degree (unfinished business) but kept saying..that's not logical. I can't have a college degree without a high school degree. Why am I here?
I decided that whatever it was that I felt like I needed to finish was not important. And I haven't had that dream since.

BTW, found out that I didn't get the job.

Neither happy nor sad about it.
Love you, had fun chatting with you yesterday, Pam

Bob and Claire said...

Ooh, another wall one. I forgot the one I had when we were visitng none other than Bill and Pam! We were staying in their basement room, and I dreamed I was in some windowless place, like you were describing Aunt Claire, and I was trying to find the door. All of a sudden I woke up when I bumped into a bookcase, knocking it over--I was sleepwalking, feeling along the (real) wall to find the door! Yeah, I was pretty embarrassed about that--I broke some pottery piece of Pam's. A swan, maybe? Anyhow, the crash woke Bob right away, and it scared me half to death! : )

Beverly said...

Well, it's begun...the baby dreams, I mean. I always have strange, vivid baby dreams during pregnancy. The first one I remember having when I was pregnant with Charis was that I was in a super-Walmart type of store, trying to get an ultrasound in the meat department!! I could hear the baby inside of me without any instruments! Very strange.

A few nights ago I had my first baby dream with this pregnancy. I had had a boy, a very LARGE boy, and I was trying to nurse him as a 4-month-old. However, he was about the size of my almost 3-year-old Arden!! Yikes!!

Unknown said...

Claire...I forgot about that. LOL
Next time...I take out all the furniture!! Except the bed of course...teeehehehee

Mike said...

Thanks for posting to my blog, Claire -- I've been lurking periodically on yours. But, as to your topic, for me I often dream about travelling, and whether it's only roaming through some ever-changing, amazingly complex building or rolling down the highway, they always end with being stubbornly blocked from proceeding.

As I househunt here, finding a place where I can freely travel from in multiple directions is very important. I found such a neighborhood Saturday -- now to find the house! Mike