Thursday, August 31, 2006

Something funny for Grandpa

We were in Trader Joe's Tuesday afternoon, and a nice man opened up a new checkout lane for us (because he could see I was "traveling with such a herd", LOL!). As we're checking out, Caleb whispers up to me that "He looks like Grandpa." Well, I could see somewhat of a slight resemblance through the face, but I couldn't get past the earrings . . . 3 gold hoops on one ear, and 4 on the other. Just like Grandpa, for sure! Pirate Grandpa, anyhow. LOL!

We were at Trader Joe's this particular afternoon to look for soy butter. Thanks to the randomness of the commissary stocking system, they have ceased to carry it, in favor of not one or even two, but three varieties of natural peanut butter. That's all very well and good, but of course it does nothing for those who can't have any peanut butter, natural or otherwise. I know the health food store near us carries the same brand of soy butter, but I figured Trader Joe's would be cheaper (and it was!). We bought 2 jars of it, so hopefully it tastes the same as what Caleb eats (and loves) now, and we also bought a jar of almond butter. As I was looking at it on the shelf, I was musing aloud to the boys about how that sounded good, and a man stopped and told me that he and some of his friends had held a taste test of all the natural nut butters Trader Joe's carries, and the "crunchy unsalted almond butter" had won, hands-down. Well, after a recommendation like that, how could I not buy it?! People are so friendly at Trader Joe's! So we rushed home to sample it. Well, Caleb hated it. He spit it into the trashcan, that's how much he hated it. The other boys were more neutral, LOL. I loved it though! I have started eating it on my toast in the mornings when I don't have any muffins cooked (I'm still on that no-diary thing, remember). I would have to say I don't prefer it in a one-on-one test against Skippy, my favorite peanut butter, but I like it a ton better than natural peanut butters. I've never been able to stomach them at all. So hey, here's to trying new things!

2 comments:

witw said...

People are friendly at TJs. I will have to get the almond butter for Dan. when we go to CA.

Bob and Claire said...

Yes, I thought of Dan right away when I liked it, and I thought maybe it would be something he might like, while not being deadly to you!