Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Nathan's lost!

Lost in Middle-Earth, that is. Last Sunday Nathan and Luke's good friend Caleb McC had a "Lord of the Rings" birthday party. The McCs are reading "The Fellowship of the Ring" (borrowed our copy, in fact) as their read-aloud, and they are almost done. Nathan was so interested in the whole idea that I told him he could try "The Hobbit" if he wished. He sped through that, finishing it by last Friday. He absolutely loved it and couldn't wait to start "Fellowship". The McCs have a few more chapters to go, but hey, I understand really wanting to read something, so last night I got a copy of it out of the library for him to start on. It's a huge book, but he has had his nose buried in it the entire day, taking only forced breaks for meals and art class (he and Luke are in an art camp each morning this week). He's over a quarter of the way through it. One thing I really love about my children learning to read is being able to share my favorite books with them and hear them enjoy them as much as I have. "Lord of the Rings" is one of my favorite series of all times, and I have read all the books several times. I told Nathan that these will be books he too can read over and over, and each time he will come away with more things from them--different things will make stronger impressions, some scenes will come alive in a different way--but each time you read a great book, you get something deeper. In fact, right off the top of my head, I would have to say that sharing books with my kids is one of my favorite parts of having children.

P.S. Sorry there are still no pictures to post. I can't get Blogger to upload them, and Pam, I tried Photobucket too, but they wouldn't work there either. I think my dial-up connection is just too slow. The site says it's uploading, but eventually all I get is a blank screen that says "done" at the bottom, and no pictures. Ah well. Sometimes I get lucky with Blogger though, so I'll just keep trying randomly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh pooh. Internet was slow for me this morning.
Oh well. Pictures will be here when they are here huh.
And I went to that Pioneer woman...you are right, she's a hoot. I love her. I will ask to add her to my sidebar soon.
Thanks Claire.
Pam

Bob and Claire said...

LOL, one of these days I'm going to get around to updating MY side bar! I'll put it on the list . . .